Electrical cord management help!

Tedrock

Greeting Nerms!

I have a problem.  I have many tanks syndrome as many of us do but that isn’t it.  I am practicing safe use with appropriate load and surge utility strips but I hate the mess the cords have made.  I have removed hang on backs, yet heaters and lights are a must for my basement fishroom in the tundra of Massachusetts.  

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, 

Tedrock

Zaxa

F691396E-BBF7-485A-A19B-DF42EE9FFF56.jpeg

Edited by Tedrock

i would start with a big bag of reuseable zipties. they allow you to control the mess, and undo them and rearrange at will. id probably also hit your favorite big box store and see what they have in the computer section for cord management that you might like. the stuff not being used, wrap up the cords, and stuff em in a little plastic tote box or shoe box.

• Thanks 1

Double sided Velcro is another good option.  

They have those cable sleeves, clips, raceways and various other things. Most those are for the esthetics, so you’d have to decide if that’s what you’re looking for. 
The items not being used, totes are always a good option. Or sell what you don’t plan on using anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This wouldn’t be a problem if every tank I had didn’t need a darn heater.  I tried some cold tanks but my basement is too cold - it is unfinished currently.  I have nine - ten gallons on the top tier.  They are spaced width end facing out due to limited space.  With heaters and air hoses.  Good thing here is I only have two lights both 48in long.  Next two levels have twenty longs so you can get an idea of the number of cords.  I have some going up to track bars attached to the ceiling and an air system too. But isn’t nearly enough.  

D3AA4197-BEDF-4CC6-B48F-7A4E8C4EB002.jpeg

Agreed, would be best to finish off the space and heat it. 
But even with the room unfinished, it could possibly be better to get a large room space heater setup anyway. Looks like you have a lot of heaters that could be running most of the time. You’d have to look at power usage of all your heaters, compare with that of various space heaters and go from there. And heating the basement could help improve comfort/heating with floors above as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lefty o said:

be nice if you could finish off a room , insulated, then you could heat the room vs how ever many aquariums you have. quite a few judging by the pic.

My wife has agreed to this once I finish the other side.  It will be my reward.  My electric bill is crazy nuts.  I would use a space heater but with all that cold cement it makes it a cold suck.  I have thought of building false walls right now to then heat that space.  It drives me a little batty.

I’m not sure from that picture if you can get behind your rack, but if you can you could use poultry net staples (I guess the smaller ones are called double point tacks) to run the chords along the backs of the 2x4’s. Just don’t hammer them in too hard and they’re fairly easy to pry off when you want to move something.

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1

I recommend using a cable sleeve. Basically a large nylon jacket. Great for entertainment area and work stations as well. Much easier then mesing with zipties and cleaner looking. Then get some of those bicycle hooks used in garages (or some kind of U shapped hook) and screw into back side of those boards. And just lay the bundles in those hooks to hide everything.

837047754_Screenshot_20210105-170601_AmazonShopping.jpg.6b7dd3f1f95ea25f4f94ed048b64d970.jpg

20210105_171634.jpg

• Like 1