Any tips on getting Corydora’s less shy

Louise white

Can anyone give me tips on getting my orange laser corydora’s to be more active . I have 9 in a 55 gallon planted tank for about 6 months now ,  with sand and lots of wood and rock to hide . It seems I’ve made too many hiding places as I don’t see them at all unless they are eating. I have a big amazon sword and jungle vallisneria to dim the light so it isn’t too bright for them and I still don’t see them 😔 . I have to slowly creep up to the tank to even see them before they spot me and dart off. I have 11 rummynose in the tank also , am trying to get more for a larger school. Should I add more cories ? I wasn’t sure how many is too many for that size tank as they get a bit larger than some of the other species. @Cory @Cory Gang @Corycatfan

987D0B4A-6973-4087-94D1-BE6ABEF60FEC.jpeg

• Like 3

This could just be a temperament. My 4 albino corys are frequently out and about, skimming the glass and resting in the front of the tank. Thinking back though when I first got them it did take them awhile to settle in. They preferred to hang back under the sponge filter. It could also be the size of the tank. I have 4 in a 20. Perhaps you need to add a few more for your 55. Corys are a social fish. A larger group might give them more confidence.  

I have the same problem with my 6 otocats in a 45. They used to hang out in one corner but have cleared out all the algae from that end, and are now mostly behind the wood. Occasionally a couple make an appearance, and at night I can spot them on the glass if they're out. I think I also don't have enough, as people have said about yours, as all the clips show them out and about. A few more are on the quarantine tank wait list! Here's hoping more fish solve our shy guys' problem!