Breeding Golden panchax killifish

Taco Playz

So I am breeding killifish in my 29 gallon tank with a spawning mop. I have already got breeding activity from the male and one of the females. So when they lay their eggs and I find them and put them in a guppy grow out tank in a breeder net with a bunch of java moss, is it ok that the eggs go in a tank that is like 5 degrees colder than in the tank they were layed in? Also if any of you guys have any experience breeding Golden panchax killifish I would be very happy to know some thing about them.

Thanks for your time

They are in a community 29 as you guys probably already know from one of my other threads, I check for eggs normally every day or every other day. My tank is a bit overstocked but I have 2 sponge filters and I do a lot of water changes. Do you guys think that they are not laying eggs yet because they are in a community tank? Their other tank mates are, 

6 Black Skirt tetras 

1 SAE 

3 Corydoras about to get another one

Thanks 

Out of curiosity, what are you feeding them? It may be that they need certain live foods to really boost egg production and trigger spawning. We feed out Fundulopanchax scheeli live baby brine shrimp, and small frozen foods along with Krill flakes. Quality protein, and chasing around live foods is important!

On 1/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, Taco Playz said:

They are in a community 29 as you guys probably already know from one of my other threads, I check for eggs normally every day or every other day. My tank is a bit overstocked but I have 2 sponge filters and I do a lot of water changes. Do you guys think that they are not laying eggs yet because they are in a community tank? Their other tank mates are, 

6 Black Skirt tetras 

1 SAE 

3 Corydoras about to get another one

Thanks 

I have Pachypanchax playfairii, not sure if that is the same as the Golden Panchax, but I think it is.

_DSC7015.jpg.fdc8aa8de3ca4bff605539a899320ffa.jpg

I have tried spawning mops with both my rice fish and killifish, but never successful

From my experience they like to spawn in algae the most, then moss, guppy grass and the like, then on the sponge filters, then spawning mops the least.

I move the algae that they spawn in from the main tank to an unheated 10 gallon with a sponge filter and no light. I heat my rooms such that the tank stays above 70F, lower than that and I have found a large % of fry get ich.

I don't imagine there would be an issue with the temp difference for the eggs to hatch in, but I wouldn't recommend going below 70F for the fry.

I don't have a light directly on the 10 gallon tank so the algae starts to die and provides a good first food for the fry when they hatch.

I feed their main tank a mix of tetracolor xl granules, color enhancing bug bite granules, and ez fry food ( around 4 parts tetra, 2 parts fry food, and 1 part bug bites) while occasionally replacing a meal with either baby brine or blood worms.

Edited by MattyIce

On 1/3/2021 at 7:45 AM, Taco Playz said:

So I am breeding killifish in my 29 gallon tank with a spawning mop. I have already got breeding activity from the male and one of the females. So when they lay their eggs and I find them and put them in a guppy grow out tank in a breeder net with a bunch of java moss, is it ok that the eggs go in a tank that is like 5 degrees colder than in the tank they were layed in? Also if any of you guys have any experience breeding Golden panchax killifish I would be very happy to know some thing about them.

Thanks for your time

There is a guy on YouTube, his channel name is Mark's Aquatics, he has a video on breeding them. He is a Brit that breeds almost everything I have been interested in breeding. He gives a lot of really good information in his videos and sometimes he shows you how to raise the young. I don't remember if he did or not for the killifish.