Sponge filter size

lilystargirl

The Nanos are the lowest profile, and my favorite size. I often run them in pairs. They are slightly taller than the Small, but not as wide. I choose the Small when height is my biggest limiting factor. I use the Medium in tubs. I do not always use the lift tubes, depending on splashing, and substrate height. My advice is for 20 gallons and under.

1 minute ago, Streetwise said:

The Nanos are the lowest profile, and my favorite size. I often run them in pairs. They are slightly taller than the Small, but not as wide. I choose the Small when height is my biggest limiting factor. I use the Medium in tubs. I do not always use the lift tubes, depending on splashing, and substrate height. My advice is for 20 gallons and under.

I have two smalls now. I don’t really want to buy another. I have spent wat too much on fish stuff the last two weeks. Lol

26 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

All the Co-Op sponge filters are great and can handle a lot. I'm not sure how much filtration those frogs require. My primary filtration is Co-Op plants.

I will add plants soon too. I’m a beginner with plants and frogs. Fish I got down. Lol. I’ll just stick both of the smalls in. I have the extra one so it will work. 

So the bio-load of African Dwarf Frogs (ADF) are pretty low.   If this is going to be a species only tank, then you should be more than fine with the size small.  Especially if its going to be planted.  

The key thing to remember is that the bio-load is impacted by how much do you feed.  One of the biggest problems people encounter with ADF is that they overfeed.  Typically feeding roughly 3 (sometimes 2) times a week is the key for these little cuties.  You want to feed when their bellies aren't bloated and have gotten down pretty flat.  Overfeeding will lead to poor water quality and early deaths.  

Because the bio-load if fed correctly will be pretty low, you most likely will have to fertilize the tank.   In my experience you do need to be careful with fertilizers.  In my own experience, all of the aquarium co op fertilizers are safe.  You never, ever want to use liquid co2 (algecides) with ADF as it will kill them.  Never ever use DIY root tabs with osmocote as they may swallow a bead of it if it comes up and it will kill them.

Going back to feeding, if you feed higher quality foods this will help keep the bio-load down.  If you feed frozen, let the frozen food come up to room temperature.  Excellent frozen foods for ADF include mysis shrimp and brine shrimp, and occasionally beaf hearts.  I would suggest avoiding blood worms.  I am of the personal opinion, based on my own experience of over a decade of keeping them, is that blood worms can contribute to issues such as bloat in ADF.  

Good dry foods include freeze dried tubifex worms and blackworms.  Vibrabites and bug bites are great too.  I would generally recommend avoiding flake foods.  

LIve foods:  Black worms and banana worms are amazing.  

I know I rambled a bit, but to answer your question yes you should be fine with one small aquarium co op filter if you feed appropriately.  

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Thanks 1

What all do you plan to keep in the aquarium?  Types and number of fish if any.  How many ADF?  Are you doing anything like snails?

What type of substrate do you plan to be using? 

What type of plants do you plan to be using?

17 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

What all do you plan to keep in the aquarium?  Types and number of fish if any.  How many ADF?  Are you doing anything like snails?

What type of substrate do you plan to be using? 

What type of plants do you plan to be using?

My son wants a few danios with them. I will have some rabbit snails. I'm thinking 4 frogs in the 20 gallon.

River rock substrate. Right now, I have marimo balls to add to the tank. I'll probably add some anubias. I'm pretty new to plants, so that's all I got right now. 

• Like 1

With danios, you will want to make sure the food actually gets to the ADF.  They can easily be out competed.  

As long as their is enough light and the water is not to rough at the top, floating plants are fantastic for beginners and tend to be a bit forgiving.  For beginners I particularly like to recommend frogbits.  African dwarf frogs will swim right up into their roots and hangout there at times.  It looks almost like they are meditating in them.   Red root floaters can be really good too. 

Here is a great video on plants:  

4 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

With danios, you will want to make sure the food actually gets to the ADF.  They can easily be out competed.  

As long as their is enough light and the water is not to rough at the top, floating plants are fantastic for beginners and tend to be a bit forgiving.  For beginners I particularly like to recommend frogbits.  African dwarf frogs will swim right up into their roots and hangout there at times.  It looks almost like they are meditating in them.   Red root floaters can be really good too. 

Here is a great video on plants:  

Yes, I know about danios. I have them in my large tank and they are crazy. I feed larger pellets for the bigger fish that float down so those pigs don't eat everything. 

I have a shrimp tube feeder that I'm going to use to put their food down in. I think they'll learn how to use it. Otherwise, I'll see if I can talk him into getting some mollies or platys. 

I was thinking about getting frog bit. I totally suck at plants, so I'm going slow with that. So far, plants that are aquatic are much easier for me to take care of.

• Like 1