Reptiles?

Chiclid addict

I have several questions about reptiles in general and geckos

. do they smell bad? that is one of my parents issues with indoor pets.

. which is better for a beginner leopard or crested gecko? is there a better breed/type for beginners

. do they do well with live plants?

. are there prepared foods that is healthy for them?

. what size cage does a leopard or crested gecko need?

thanks for the help 🙂

Just now, quirkylemon103 said:

. which is better for a beginner leopard or crested gecko? is there a better breed/type for beginners

thanks for the help 🙂

1. No 

2. I would go with a snake but if you don’t want a snake I would say crested geckos are easier 

3. depends on the species if your interested in live plants i would do a bio active setup for a crested gecko 

4. There is prepared foods for crested geckos that are healthy and can be there whole diet 

5. a crested gecko is gonna need a taller enclosure instead of floor space there really is not correct answer to this question I would say a MINIMUM of 20L for a leopard gecko and for a crested basically a 20L flipped on its side for this front opening is better for this too

And last but not least DO YOUR RESEARCH I will send you a pm with some good youtubers since I don’t think I can post them

19 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

1. No 

2. I would go with a snake but if you don’t want a snake I would say crested geckos are easier 

3. depends on the species if your interested in live plants i would do a bio active setup for a crested gecko 

4. There is prepared foods for crested geckos that are healthy and can be there whole diet 

5. a crested gecko is gonna need a taller enclosure instead of floor space there really is not correct answer to this question I would say a MINIMUM of 20L for a leopard gecko and for a crested basically a 20L flipped on its side for this front opening is better for this too

And last but not least DO YOUR RESEARCH I will send you a pm with some good youtubers since I don’t think I can post them

why do crested geckos need more height? why would you recommend snakes over geckos? 

20 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

thanks for the help 🙂

I had a similar debate on crested vs leopard geckos a few years ago. Ended up with a crested gecko based on a few items. Here's what I know from that research. 

Neither have a smell if you properly care for them. 

Both leopard and crested geckos are good beginner reptiles. They have multiple morphs you can choose from if you are willing to pay. Or you can get the normal morph for a reasonable price. 

Both do fine with live plants. However, note that they are very different from an environment standpoint. Leopard geckos are terrestrial and like to burrow. They are an arid species. Crested geckos are arboreal, so they need to climb and need elevated hides. They are a semi tropical species. If you are interested in live plants, research bioactive vivariums. There are a few good Facebook groups and vendors that you can find info from. Message me if you want some recommendations, as I'm not sure I can post them per the rules. That being said, it may be a bit easier to do live plants in a crested setup initially, but there are a lot of successful arid setups out there as well.

Crested geckos can have live fully prepared foods, but leopard geckos need live insects. My crested is eating exclusively prepared foods at the moment, but I am moving towards supplementing with live insects for enrichment. 

General concensus for leopard geckos enclosures is 36" x 18", or a 40 breeder minimum in most of the recent research I've done. Older standard is a 20L minimum. Often debated and argued from what I've seen, and not here to debate it. Crested geckos recommendations is 18" x 18" x 24", but also see a lot if 20L s converted to vertical. I'd recommend looking into a front opening enclosure for reptiles. I find them easier to work with. I have an exo terra for my crested gecko. In either case, I subscribe to bigger tends to be better.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not an expert, but am happy to help where I can.  As with any other pet, research, research, research. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m a reptile junkie as well. I keep and breed Asian Water Monitors, Ball Pythons, False Water Cobras, Eastern & Western Hognoses, Eastern Box Turtles, Redfoot Tortoises. We also have a few pet Sulcata tortoises, Russian Tortoise, Alligator Snapping Turtle, Spotted Salamander and a fat Tomato Frog. I used to keep a lot more venomous snakes and lizards but after having kids I’ve rehomed most of them. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 12:36 PM, JoshStover said:

I’m a reptile junkie as well. I keep and breed Asian Water Monitors, Ball Pythons, False Water Cobras, Eastern & Western Hognoses, Eastern Box Turtles, Redfoot Tortoises. We also have a few pet Sulcata tortoises, Russian Tortoise, Alligator Snapping Turtle, Spotted Salamander and a fat Tomato Frog. I used to keep a lot more venomous snakes and lizards but after having kids I’ve rehomed most of them. 

Damn I wish I could have that many I currently only have 9 most of witch are breeder balls I have a pastel bp, 2pastaves, a black pastel ghost, a pumpkin pied, conda western hognose, super salmon corn snake, “red tail” bci boa and a banana het clown/pied bp 

• Love 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

Bearded dragon and northeastern grey tree frog

C71FC7D0-E606-40FB-905F-A9E2AD3705C6.jpeg

AFFBEE6C-A31F-482D-954B-8C358EE7C8B3.jpeg

6F797D5D-69C3-47E4-B2B5-1A7B147DF139.jpeg

4F1BAEB5-02EB-4345-B531-021BBABA0AE8.jpeg

500B0FA8-A6DC-486F-944B-99E1D86E5357.jpeg

Never thought I'd see a cat and a bearded dragon chilling together, very cool!

For some reason I'd expect cats to try and kill any live animals around 😅

for the crested gecko.  You want tall because they are tree dwellers. If they are on the ground and are frightened they will drop their tail and run. It’s a defense/distraction technique so the predators stop to eat the tail and they can getaway. Heavily planted helps them. They do not need uv but you can use it for plants. They do need moist soil. Reptisoil is good they need misted to 80% humidity at least once a day or a humidifier/rainmaker And thermostat and hygrometer 

leopard gecko….all pet control and pet smart give care sheets for house geckos. These are not for leopard geckos their requirements are totally different. Do not use sand substrate they avoid sand in the wild hard pack dirt is their preference sand harms them. 

• 6 months later...

I like reptiles. I would like to get a snake as a pet, but the unknown scares me. I don't know anyone with any reptiles at home, so I have no one to consult with. If anyone has a snake in their home, can you tell me more about caring for it? I don't think snakes require much care. They just need all the necessary conditions for a good life. I want to read more information about pet snakes. I hope there are pet stores in our state that sell them. I also need to find out if our veterinarians know how to treat snakes and do health screenings. I was advised mysnakepet.com. Hopefully, I can find all the information I need there.

Edited by westennity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a baby Gargoyle Gecko (5g right now, 3 months old) and there is virtually zero smell, zero noise, and very simple husbandry. The taming process is slow and requires a lot of patience and gentling, but I know we'll get there -- I just got this little one a month ago and they've only just started settling here in their new home. Love my little geck! I keep dreaming of other wonderful creatures I could adopt but also trying to pump the brakes a little bit on raising more animals. I like what I have going now.

Edited by laritheloud