Cutting off all Anubias leaves

I have a very unhealthy Anubias plant that either got too much light or was chewed on by the plecos. It’s also covered in algae and looks terrible, but I don’t want to just throw it away. If I cut off every leaf and preserve the rhizome, will the plant die or will it grow new leaves eventually and become healthy again? Obviously it’s going to be moved into one of my other tanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm interested in seeing what others advise, but I would recommend only removing the obviously dying leaves and leave the healthy ones that are just covered with algae.  I recently had a bad outbreak of staghorn algae in one of my tanks, and the anubias leaves looked terrible, but as I've gotten the algae under control the snails have gradually cleaned the leaves so that they look good as new.

• Like 2

I second the "only remove the dying leaves" advice. The algae-covered leaves can be cleaned to an extent by a toothbrush or something similar. It might result in a tear or two, but it's not too bad, the leaves will still function. You can always cut off all the leaves later if they keep dying. In my experience, anubias is an incredibly tough plant, as long as there is a rhizome, there is hope.

• Like 1

Initially I would cut off only the worst of the damaged leaves and give the Anubia some plant tabs.  The plants may be looking for nutrients they aren't getting enough of.  If new growth remains healthy, you can cut off the remaining damaged leaves later.

• Like 1