Paul_Obermiller

I purchased some dime to quarter sized angelfish that were very likely hatched mid to late July. I have 2 pairs from these juveniles breeding already. So that would put the minimum time at about 5 months.

September 16, 2020 the fish were dime to quarter sized.

image.png.afc894252baebc256641816363c3f5

Starting last week they were pairing off and beginning to lay eggs.

Today:

image.png.f03651bf68c3cce5e46f4d925687cb

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I purchased some dime to quarter sized angelfish that were very likely hatched mid to late July. I have 2 pairs from these juveniles breeding already. So that would put the minimum time at about 5 months.

Other than baby brine shrimp and mosquito larva what are some great foods for growing them up nice and heathy.

1 minute ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

Other than baby brine shrimp and mosquito larva what are some great foods for growing them up nice and heathy.

They definitely got a lot of baby brine shrimp and mosquito larva early on, but they also have eaten a lot of live blackworms and prepared foods like Vibra Bites, and Tetra Color granules.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They definitely got a lot of baby brine shrimp and mosquito larva early on, but they also have eaten a lot of live blackworms and prepared foods like Vibra Bites, and Tetra Color granules.

What are granules? I have heard that word a lot in videos but have never heard anyone explain what it is.

5 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

What are granules? I have heard that word a lot in videos but have never heard anyone explain what it is.

What they are is inexpensive. 🙂 But more seriously, they are irregularly shaped small pellets kind of like Grape Nuts cereal. If I could use only one word to describe a granule, the word I would use is 'pellet'.

I am thinking about having a community tank for the angelfish and than having a 29 or 20 gallon for the pair to lay in. I will raise the angelfish in a 10 until they out grow it. Can Congo Tetras and Sterbai corys live with them in a 90 gallon tank, or should I rethink my tank mates? I am worried about the little angels not being able to get enough food with the tetras.

Even little angelfish are pretty aggressive when it comes to food. Check out this video of some dime sized angelfish stealing eggs.

I have never kept Congo tetras so I don't know. But if there is enough food my guess the small angels will find a way to get their share.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

What is the "best" size to sell them at for profit?

I don't know. I am sure I have never made an actual profit. I have almost exclusively sold adults and stores really like large angels. But I bet you could get the stores interested starting at about 50 cent size. Local markets vary quite a bit so you will just have to ask your prospective customers what they want/what they need.

2 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

Alright, have you ever breed any other kind of fish?

Discus and bettas a fair amount. Apistogramma and pygmy sunfish to a lesser amount.

If I were to try and breed something to sell to a LFS and wanted to make an actual profit, I would grow Cherry Shrimp in mini-ponds or outdoor pools. I am pretty sure the dollars coming in would be greater than the dollars going out with Cherry Shrimp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

Probably true, Cory said that he had Cherry Shrimp outside with ice on top on the surface of water. What kind of bettas? 

IBC show bettas. I was working on a black butterfly, never really got there though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

I’ve also heard good things about beef heart for grow out 

I feed frozen blood worms to get my angles ready to spawn.  Guessing they would help with growth as well.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't know. I am sure I have never made an actual profit. I have almost exclusively sold adults and stores really like large angels. But I bet you could get the stores interested starting at about 50 cent size. Local markets vary quite a bit so you will just have to ask your prospective customers what they want/what they need.

If you are looking for profit out of your LFS, angels might not be the best option.  Since a single spawn can yield >50 fish, and I suspect a store would less than 10 or 15 angels a week, selling them off may take a while.  Aquabid may be a better option, but I’ve never sold through them.  

another option is Corys.  My LFS struggles to get them in stock.  

9 hours ago, Ken Burke said:

If you are looking for profit out of your LFS, angels might not be the best option.  Since a single spawn can yield >50 fish, and I suspect a store would less than 10 or 15 angels a week, selling them off may take a while.  Aquabid may be a better option, but I’ve never sold through them.  

another option is Corys.  My LFS struggles to get them in stock.  

I was thinking about Sterbai corys since they have lots of eggs. And the color always attracts anyone's eyes, expert or beginner.  

• Like 1