Loud Pumps

kariF

Hello,

My son's aquarium had a hang on back filter that was so loud we could hear it 20 feet away. It vibrated a lot. We switched to the Breza AP-50 from the Aquarium coop. It was okay for about a week and since has been so incredibly loud and the adjustment really doesn't function any longer. Ideas? Is there a pump that is quieter? What is the quietist pump? I have the pump in  a box now with anti vibration pads and sound absorbing pads. It still vibrates and wakes my son up. Hoping for a solution so we don't have a loud aquarium. It is a 29 gallon tank. 

Thanks for any ideas.

In my experience with air pumps most a quiet unless they are rattling on something. I always hang my air pumps from something. I would try hanging it from the wall or celing so it isnt touching anything. just check the instruction manual to ensure it doesn't say not to hang the pump. but i expect it would be fine

The nano pumps like Aquarium Coop sells are the only ones I've tried that I can stand so far.  They're really quiet.  I used to have a couple of really loud, obnoxious HOBs and finally just couldn't stand them anymore--they even drove my husband nuts enough that he said "PLEASE buy new ones!"  Usually I'm the one begging for a bigger fish budget 🙂  I changed them out for 2 Tetra Whisper IQs that are pretty much silent and are self priming.  It's been a very positive change.

If you are running sponge filters, I with everybody else...use the USB airpump.  I can't hear it at all.  If it's  it hooked to anything, I have to hold it my hand or hold the air to my ear to know it's working.  I haven't had one fail; but, for the price I can't imagine they'll last forever.  I just keep a couple of extras.  I'm running 7 of them.

Thanks for the replies. I am running the sponge filters from Aquarium coop. I just ordered another pump, but maybe using the nano will be my best option if it will work. We have a nano in my other son's 5 gallon aquarium and we cannot hear it. I thought it would be too small. 

I did try hanging my son's larger Breza pump from the bottom of his dresser and it still vibrated so much. 

Air pumps are quirky. I bought one from Amazon a while back that was very powerful and quite quiet. I bought a second one of the same brand and model that's the loudest pump I've ever owned. I've taken the loud one apart to try and figure out what the heck is going on, but I can't find the issue. None of the usual tricks work for quieting it, so it's now my spare air pump and unused unless an emergency pops up.

Hygger makes a small air pump and it's the only thing that I've found to be as quiet as the Aquarium Coop pump. It's also more expensive and you don't get much support after your purchase. The best thing it has going for it is that it can be suctioned onto your glass to keep vibration down. I'm not always able to find a great spot to hang the Coop pumps but they stay quiet even laying flat. Both are leagues better than the Tetra Whisper 20 I ended up with. That thing could wake the dead.