Root tabscausing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading

Hi all, the last 2 planted tanks I’ve set up I’ve run into problems, the 1st one, after a week or so of being set up I noticed lots of bubbles, so I tested the water and the ammonia was through the roof, I haven’t introduced fish or anything so where is it coming from? The only thing i can think of is the root tabs... Another one I set up same sort of thing, again no fish, but instead of showing ammonia it shows a considerable about of nitrite and nitrate. Root tabs again are the only thing I can think of that could possibly cause this... I’m careful not to disturb them, and always push them right to the bottom of the substrate (which i should probs of mention is just plain gravel in both), so I don’t understand whats going on... Any thought? Also, the root tabs are the tropica ones, I’m in the UK so can’t buy the Aquarium Coop ones yet... 

It’s just plain gravel, that’s why I used the root tabs. Ammonia has now gone, but still reading high nitrite and nitrate. Obviously still not added fish. It must be the root tabs... I’m still wondering if I should completely start again, minus the root tabs. Thanks for any advice. 

Edited by NickG83

the root tabs probably were not causing the amonia but the tank sounds like its in the middle of its cycle. Test your tap water and make sure you don't have any amonia in the tap water.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:45 AM, NickG83 said:

Maybe it is, I just always thought that to start the cycling process, waste/ ammonia had to be introduced somehow... I’m going to keep testing the water regularly to see what happens. Thanks 

No, this happends natrually, to speed up the nitrogen cycle you can add a source of amonia but it is not mandatory for the cycle to begin.

I never knew the cycle could start without the introduction of ammonia/ waste, I don’t think my tap water contains ammonia, as I think I’ve tested that in the past, but will check tomorrow. Thanks for the info though, and hopefully it will finish cycling soon and I can add the fish... I bought some rice fish eggs online, and been growing them out in a little 3.5 gallon, and they’re waiting for there upgrade! ✌️

There are bacteria that convert ammonia compounds to nitrite, and those that convert nitrite to nitrate. By the definition commonly used of cycling, those bacteria must be present. 

You can have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate introduced from fertilizers, absolutely. Ammonium is a common component of a lot of fertilizer products, which is why aqua soils leach it and things like diy root tabs must be used carefully. Likewise Easygreen contains nitrate.

I don’t know what the Tropica tabs are made of sorry.

Edited by AdamTill
  • Thanks 1