Should I wait to buy plants?

I got my stimulus check today so I have extra money to spend and have been needing more plants and fertilizer. I'm split between buying now or waiting because I know the mail is running behind. Is it safe to buy plants and can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it will take for them to be delivered? I live in Illinois.

When the mails are running normally I get my plants in a week or less. Which is pretty good considering that includes travel across the entire continent.

Plants ship really well, but cold can be an issue if it below freezing cold. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I would check the weather and if that looked good then I would pull the trigger and get the plants.

I just ordered eight plants today and they're already packed and shipped. I live in NJ, so they've got a ways to go to get here, but things are moving pretty well right now. I would expect them here sometime between Monday and Wednesday. Maybe sooner. Heat packs are typically either 48 or 72 hour heat packs. Monday would still have a 72 hour heat pack going strong. The plants should be fine a day or two past the expiration of the heat pack also. I'm experimenting with plants I can't find locally. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

24 minutes ago, gardenman said:

I just ordered eight plants today and they're already packed and shipped. I live in NJ, so they've got a ways to go to get here, but things are moving pretty well right now. I would expect them here sometime between Monday and Wednesday. Maybe sooner. Heat packs are typically either 48 or 72 hour heat packs. Monday would still have a 72 hour heat pack going strong. The plants should be fine a day or two past the expiration of the heat pack also. I'm experimenting with plants I can't find locally. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

if you ordered from the co-op, they will also likely come in the insulated bag thingy as extra insurance.

1 minute ago, lefty o said:

if you ordered from the co-op, they will also likely come in the insulated bag thingy as extra insurance.

They were ordered from the Co-op. I've never had a problem with plants from other sources either though. I don't leave them in my mailbox (for mailed plants) or on my porch if they're shipped by other carriers. I track them. Follow them to my house and get them inside as soon as possible.

3 hours ago, gardenman said:

They were ordered from the Co-op. I've never had a problem with plants from other sources either though. I don't leave them in my mailbox (for mailed plants) or on my porch if they're shipped by other carriers. I track them. Follow them to my house and get them inside as soon as possible.

always a good plan no matter the source, as they will bake in the summer, and freeze in the winter.

6 hours ago, lefty o said:

always a good plan no matter the source, as they will bake in the summer, and freeze in the winter.

Yeah. Nothing good happens leaving a package exposed. I've ordered plants in the winter that were shipped wrapped in damp paper towels in a Ziploc bag with no heat pack or insulation that were fine, so I don't worry about it too much. As long as I get them inside quickly, they're fine. I find cold packs for summer shipments to be more troublesome. I had a big order of tropical fish arrive in August where a cold pack had the water temp in the bags between 48-52  degrees. Some were already DOA and the rest died shortly after arriving. Those fish would have been better off being shipped at ambient temperature. The packer had the fish in the bottom of the box and the cold pack on top, and the cold air settled to the bottom overly chilling the fish.