snail in shrimp tank.

giantlumberjack

So i was keeping one blader snail in my 10 G shrimp tank but now its started to reproduce. Usually i dont have a problem with them but im afraid both might compete for food and calcium. what should i do?

Also just a side question but anyone know a good snail or shrimp mate that can deal with green spot algae?

6affaacaeba8dffabb44214444ab6546.jpg

I would just keep the population down on the snails. Like when you see an explosion from the snails go in and take a bunch out. Or you could take all the snails out, just make sure you don't overfeed your shrimp. For green spot algae I would use nerite snails, they do a pretty good job of cleaning it up.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

I would just keep the population down on the snails. Like when you see an explosion from the snails go in and take a bunch out. Or you could take all the snails out, just make sure you don't overfeed your shrimp. For green spot algae I would use nerite snails, they do a pretty good job of cleaning it up.

I agree, nerites are great algae eaters and do not reproduce.

1 minute ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

You got any tips on how to attrack snails to one spot? I want to move them but most are still too small and i'm afraid i might kill some.

3 minutes ago, giantlumberjack said:

You got any tips on how to attrack snails to one spot? I want to move them but most are still too small and i'm afraid i might kill some.

If you want a safe way to get snails out you could buy snails traps. I am sure there are some on amazon. Or you could just boil zucchini or lettuce let it sit for an hour or so and pull it out with all the snails on it. I would use a net underneath it to catch any that try to escape. 

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that snails and shrimp complement each other instead of competing.  I have "healthy" populations of bladder, rams horn, and Malaysian Trumpet snails in all my tanks, and the shrimp populations are thriving.

By the way, I know you mentioned a reluctance to kill them, but freshly crushed snails are great shrimp food.  They'll swarm all over one.

Edited by JettsPapa

28 minutes ago, giantlumberjack said:

You can draw aquarium water through an air line into a container, and suck up the little snails, like gravel vac.

No need to buy snail traps, just get a small dish put a long lasting food on it (maybe veg slice). If you do that at night by the next morning all snails will be covering it. Any shrimp on it will swim away when you grab and move the dish. 

And as mentioned snails coexist with shrimp very well together.