Pick & mix tank syndrome?

Karen B.

Greetings!

So I am limited to the number of aquarium I can have. I currently have a 20 gallons high that I need to stock. It currently houses 8 false cory and 3 nerita snails. I had fun on aquadvisor to create the perfect stocking...

...do I fall in the pick & mix syndrome? What is your opinion on such a stocking? I know many people advice not to keep a single honey gourami but I am afraid of agression.

14E40437-4654-47BF-BD96-0DF58F664B73.jpeg.52c5a775b3a364485418301438a8d329.jpeg

@Alesha has honey gouramis I think, and might know more about suitable tankmates. I would not mix a honey and a dwarf, or any two species of gourami in a 20 gallon, just based on what I've read. Honeys are known to be very peaceful, where dwarfs can be quite aggressive. But as we all know, each fish is an individual and may not follow the norm. Good luck in whatever you choose!

• Like 2

I would generally advise against both mixing gouramis and keeping only two, I think Cory's advice of "get 1 or 3+" is honestly the best way to handle most gouramis. I don't have much experience with C. Lalia and I haven't kept T. Chuna but I think for a 20 high I'd recommend only 1 C. Lalia but maybe a trio of T. Chuna.

Alternately if you're more interested in the live-bearers on your list I'd recommend skipping the gouramis and sticking with some mix of those

I have honey gourami mixed with endlers, guppies, white clouds, SAEs, dwarf chain loaches, various snails & shrimp. There are no aggressive behaviors. They all get along very well.

I would hesitate to add another kind of gourami, as they tend to be more aggressive.

Ultimately, it's up to you! Do what you like & see how it goes. 😃

• Like 1

I have honey Gouramis temporarily with my Sparkling Gouramis. They don't seem to have any issues with eachother and the Sparkling Gouramis keep their micro aggressionwithin their own group, but they are all being closely watched. 

I have 2 Male Dwarf Gouramis together as well, but I'm convinced the only reason it works is because it's 2 male dwarf Gouramis in a 4 ft tank. They definitely try to stay as far away from eachother as possible in there, and each claim one half of the tank for themselves. I trusted putting the Honey Gouramis with the Sparklers more than I did with the Dwarf Gouramis. 

20201228_191619.jpg.ab4a51dadc53b8720d81510c95778487.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lynze said:

20201228_191619.jpg.ab4a51dadc53b8720d81510c95778487.jpg

Great capture, @Lynze!  Your sparkling gourami are getting some nice size on them! Mine must be very young...they are not nearly as close to the honey gourami's size as yours is. They still look so tiny to me. Hoping yours all do well together. I can see them sticking to their own with their behaviors. Good call on that. 

I agree with everyone else about the dwarf gouramis. From everything I’ve heard, they’re much more aggressive than honeys. I have two honeys in my 55 gallon (a mating pair) and depending on the hormone/baby situation they either love each other or hate each other. XD But they have plenty of space to keep to themselves when they’re on the outs. If it were me, I’d probably skip the gouramis altogether in the tank you’ve described just to keep the stocking levels down, but I’m definitely an under-stock kind of fish keeper rather than an over-stock.

• Thanks 1