Malaysian trumpet Snails

Leo2o915

48 minutes ago, Kriskm said:

Happy 2021! I really like them in my tanks--they mix up the sand and process the fish waste (especially good for plants). And they mostly hide during the day. You can keep the population down by not over feeding the fish.

Happy 2021 thanks so they won’t cause too much waste in the tank ? 

I don’t have any personal experience with MTS.  But did some research on them awhile back since I considered getting them. And most of what I came across was that there wasn’t much that eats them.
Though there was one forum that mentioned assassin snails can help. MTS isn’t a preferred food for assassin snails, they eat them when other options are limited. 
The more reliable option is probably as Kriskm mentioned, try not to over feed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

Happy 2021 thanks so they won’t cause too much waste in the tank ? 

Waste is produced in proportion to how much you feed. If you only feed the fish and let the snails get the scraps then no extra waste is generated and they will be a good for the ecosystem on your aquarium.

• Like 4

No they are actually really beneficial for your tank and I think you will notice when the light is on they will retreat back to the depths of your substrate, I like MTS because they are the "night clean up crew" they come out when your lights are off, clean the glass and eat anything rotting and then go back to where they came from. I think every tank should have MTS in them, but if your looking to remove them your going to have to sift through your substrate and remove them by hand and repeat the process likely more then once, or get something that eats them specifically or let the tank get super cold to freeze them out, but again, I think you should absolutely keep them, they are the best. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

No they are actually really beneficial for your tank and I think you will notice when the light is on they will retreat back to the depths of your substrate, I like MTS because they are the "night clean up crew" they come out when your lights are off, clean the glass and eat anything rotting and then go back to where they came from. I think every tank should have MTS in them, but if your looking to remove them your going to have to sift through your substrate and remove them by hand and repeat the process likely more then once, or get something that eats them specifically or let the tank get super cold to freeze them out, but again, I think you should absolutely keep them, they are the best. 

I want to keep them just noticed they where a lot of them but going to try and control them by not over feeding 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, s1_ said:

Yoyos eat them

On 1/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, s1_ said:

That I don't know. But the yoyos were fun to watch in my 125 hunting the snails. I don't mind the trumpets they look cool and stir up the substrate.

PXL_20201226_000640241.jpg

They even looked for Malaysian trumpet snails those only come out at night 

On 2/15/2021 at 2:56 AM, Leo2o915 said:

They even looked for Malaysian trumpet snails those only come out at night 

Yep! Mine also dig for snails like @s1_ ‘s do. They won’t eliminate the population by any means, but they will snack on them and keep their numbers down. And they are super fun fish!