Suggestions for a new 60-80 gallon aquarium and stand

mosquito

Hello! I'm looking to setup a 60-80 gallon glass freshwater aquarium. I've had a tropical fish aquarium in the past, but it's been awhile. What I've been finding difficult is locating a aquarium and a stand I like. I live in the Seattle area so finding local stores is not bad at all. I've looked at petsmart and petco, and been somewhat scared off but the reviews of leaks. I've looked a bit online, but; seems to be a limited large aquarium variety.  Any suggestions are most welcome to help me find a tank and stand!

When searching for a tank I flipped through the negative reviews and thought that the ratio of tanks they must have sold compared to the number of negative reviews in a certain time period translated to a really low fail rate. Probably nearly every person whose tank failed left a negative review, where only a small percentage of those whose tanks did not fail left a positive review. I have three Aqueon tanks and am happy with them. Do you have a LFS in your area? They can give you personal service in picking out something you like if you're not sure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mosquito said:

I've looked at petsmart and petco, and been somewhat scared off but the reviews of leaks.

I have purchased more than my share of $1 per gallon sale aquariums over the years which means I have a lot of Aqueon aquariums. None of mine have ever failed or leaked.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I have purchased more than my share of $1 per gallon sale aquariums over the years which means I have a lot of Aqueon aquariums. None of mine have ever failed or leaked.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I too like @Daniel have purchased many aqueon tanks, none have leaked either.

In terms of stands, Cory is using gladiator tables in his new fish room. I think he got them at Home Depot but it looks like they have several sizes on their website.

P150313_17_1600x.jpg
WWW.GLADIATORGARAGEWORKS.COM

Find the right Gladiator® garage workbench for your space — from mobile workstations to stationary workbench models and workbench accessories.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Maggie said:

Probably nearly every person whose tank failed left a negative review, where only a small percentage of those whose tanks did not fail left a positive review.

This is true of most products and why a brands reputation can be damaged much faster than built up. 

I have had a 10g aqueon start leaking. But that was due to the surface warping under it, so not really a fault of the manufacturer. And this could be the cause of some of those bad reviews as well. I don’t know that everyone really considers how heavy water is when you start dumping a lot of it in a box.
I would buy another one if I was looking for another aquarium. And I agree with Maggie, the number of tanks sold probably makes the negative comments such a small percentage. Don’t know that there’s many fish forums that don’t discuss/comment when the next $1 per gallon sale is going to be happening. 

With that said, if your looking for an amazing show tank setup... Personally, I wouldn’t go with aqueon or most of the big box store tanks. Those tanks are functional and economical, but are not exactly what I’d consider show quality.