Substrate for Outdoor Mini Ponds

ChemBob

What does everyone use as a substrate for outdoor mini ponds? Gravel, sand, dirt?

I am planning on getting a 100 gallon tub from a big box store to use as a tub. I'll be planting and adding some fish to it to enjoy outside. I am thinking gravel as a base with some areas with larger pebbles / stones for egg scattering fishes. I would like 1 or 2 water lilies and maybe an iris and some floatering plants. I have water wisteria and pogostemon octopus in my current tanks, so some trimmings from those may end up out there, and may get some crypts to plant in the lower light areas, depends on how everything else fills in.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rotomas said:

I used crushed coral: partly to buffer the water, but mainly to be able to see the fish. At first I didn’t use any substrate but I couldn’t see the fish at all. So I would suggest a light color substrate. 

What fish do you have? Curious if the choice of fosh color will make a difference on the background color choice as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, Taylor Blake said:

I did black dirt in mine in order to get the most algae growth for my fish to feed on. You can do really any substrate if you want you can also use pots for substrate and plants and that helps with taking it down in the fall 

Good idea with the potted plants - what do you do with the aquatic/marginal/potted plants when you are winterizing the pond? Where do you store them overwinter?

This is my first year with outdoor fishkeeping, I am in NY, and I am in FULL-ON Research Mode! 🙂