Small Issue with Aquarium Co-Op Sponge Filter

dlebeda

Hi everyone,

I am breeding Peacock Gudgeons and I have a 10 gallon tank setup for fry. I recently received a small Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter. I set it up after watching Cory's youtube video and made sure to attach the air stone with an extremely short piece of tubing, but I am still having issues with intermittent large bubbles. I took the sponge filter apart in the tank and held just the top of it with the air stone in the water. I believe I found the "problem". Even though all of the bubbles are small, some of them collect and form big intermittent bubbles on the underside of the plastic top part of the sponge filter. Is this pretty normal? I've never had a sponge filter before, but I didn't notice this happening in Cory's video. 

Does anyone know how to easily fix this? It's not that big of a deal, but it does make a little more noise and the aquarium is in my bedroom. 

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I’ve been having the same problem with all 3 of my sponge filters. I read that it does not affect the performance of the filters... so I’ve just been living with it. I too have shortened the tubing of the air stone as much as humanly possible. I’ve also made sure each sponge filter is sitting completely straight and neither of those things worked. It doesn’t seem to be hurting anything 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Mine does this too. I've done the same steps and have one of the nano air pumps and a no-clog air stone - loosened and tightened different times to see if it made a difference-- on it from aquariun co-op (which is super quiet!!). It works fine even with the larger bubbles, so I've stopped trying to make them go away. It's not super noisy and I like it  much, much better than having a HOB. 

• Like 1