parker

• As far as I know the only important thing about the water is that it not be too soft, since they need the minerals to build healthy shells.
  • They'll eat just about anything organic, including fish food, dead fish, vegetables boiled for a few minutes, and decaying plant leaves.

I'm inadvertently breeding snails by the ton (well, hundreds) in the breeder box with my baby plecos. I added one snail originally, and now there are probably a hundred or more since early December. They're eating what the baby plecos eat, which is largely green beans, Repashy Soilent Green, some Wardley's Shrimp Pellets, Tetramin flake food. The breeder box is a Marina model where it pulls in fresh water from the tank it's attached to and then dispels it from the other side. Mine has the grate covering the expulsion side but if I removed that grate, snails would meander out to the big tank. Using a breeder box like this with the grate removed and a snail colony established in the breeder box, could make it a puffer fish autofeeder. Snails would find the exit and head to the big tank and their demise while new generations grew up in the breeder box. Your puffer would quickly learn where his/her meals come from and hang out under the breeder box exit when feeling peckish. Add a bit of snail food to the breeder box each day and you'd be able to create a mostly self-sustaining snail colony that autofeeds your puffer.