Rainbow shiners, jumpers?

LillyBlomqvist

Hello nerms!

I'm starting a shallow open top tank in my bathroom. It'll have a lot of live plants, both submerged, emerged and floating. An aquascape, aiming for low maintainance. It'll be a 10 gallon/40 liter tank, no heater only room temperature. Will have a filter, will also have the surface an inch or so below the edge. My first thought was to not have any fish in it, but hey, fish are always more fun if it's possible! I can't stop thinking about these rainbow shiners. SO BEAUTIFUL! 😌

Do you guys think that it would be possible to have some of them in this tank? Or are they jumpers?

If they are'nt a good choice, would Galaxy rasbora, shrimps or snails work? Some kind of algae eater? Something else that would work and thrive in it? 

Thank you, and happy new year! 😁🎉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dancing Matt said:

@WhitecloudDynasty could probably tell you. A word of caution. Be careful what you spray to clean your bathroom. I have accidently killed fish cleaning with a bleach based solution in the vicinity of a no-top tank. 

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind when cleaning, to perhaps spray on the cloth away from the tank instead of directly on the surfaces next to the tank 😁

3 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

They won't normally jump out, the only time I seen them jump was when I lower the water lv down to 2inch and was adding water to it.

I sure your setup should be fine for the rainbow shiner

Thank you for your answer! That sounds promising 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 1:27 AM, Colu said:

rainbow shiners get 3in  i think you be better going something smaller in a ten gallon like endlers or small tetras

Thank you! I recently realized that I was mixing up a couple of fish. I imagined that the rainbows were smaller and I also imagined that the galaxy rasbora liked colder water 🙈So I absolutely have to rethink 🤔 Can guppies and endlers handle colder water? About 18°C? It's around 22-24 in the bathroom in the summer but in the winter it can drop down to 18 if I don't leave the radiator on 😬

14 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Should be fine, I raise my down to 60, they are still actively eating and swimming but breeding does slow down

Oh really? 😀 Maby I should try then. Is it okay to just keep males?

14 hours ago, Colu said:

You could keep  white clouds at  that  temp

Not a bad idea 😀 They look beautiful! I'll read about them and think about it. Do you know if they jump?

17 minutes ago, Randy said:

+1 for white clouds.  Such an underrated fish.

7 minutes ago, MAC said:

I'm going to agree with Randy here. I am also a huge fan of white clouds. They won't disappoint!

Well, then it's decided! I trust you guys. Have been curious about them for a while now, I feel it's time to give them a chance 😀

I'll post some pics when the tank is up and running with the white clouds 😀

• Like 1

I have kept Neo shrimp with the White Clouds, outdoors first and then moved indoors, and the shrimp did fine. Fry will still want a high density of plants or hardscape for more safety. I will report more as the current tank matures and gets more plants. I have a couple of journals on these here, which I can link when I am off mobile.

• Like 2

have have about 11 rainbow shiners in a 20 long and I wouldn't go smaller than that. They hang out most of the time in the flow so little movement, however, they still like to chase each other a lot so they circle around and play in the flow. They are also quick swimmers and can get over 2 inches like mentioned above. Great little fish that always swim up to the glass to say hi to me.