New to plants, not to fish keeping.

ErinV

Hi, I am from Ontario, Canada. I have had some version of a community tank for almost 30 years. Started with Molly's in grade 6. 

Currently I have a 30g long. I would love bigger but house size makes that difficult. I also want to make sure I know what I am doing before I get bigger. Tank has seen lots of changes in the last six months. I have had to do some fish rehab after a couple Sword Tails decided to go on an attack bender out of nowhere. I have had them before with no issues. I have changed out my blue rocks for natural river rock and Seachem. I started with plants in a 5g that I adopted from a friend last year. I worked on that for about 4 months and just before Christmas transplanted plants and fish to 30g and added more plants. Tank has also been moved to a location where I can actually sit and watch it now. I have learned so much in the last year since finding Aquarium Coop on YouTube. Cory you made it so much easier and less intimidating to start live plants

Fish in the tank currently: Neon Tetras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetra, Ember Tetra, Rasbora Scissortails, Rainbows, and 2 Bristlenose plecos added yesterday.

Plants: Amazon Sword (just had first propagation), Cryptocorne, Java Fern, Vallisneria, and 2 plants I am not sure about, possibly Moneywort and Copper Leaf Ammania. Owner was not at the store the day I picked them up and he is the plant guy. Love our little store!!! They have helped me more than once and for free when they should or could have charged me.

P.S. The last 2 days have been intresting so my picture is not the best. Did you know that before you panic and run to the store to get a new heater, you should make sure yours is plugged in. Also do not let 7yrs old move cat tower near fish tank. You will get yelled at from the basement that a cat is in the tank. Yep, that was my morning!!! 🤪

20201230_111212.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, @ErinV! And LOL at your PS! We've all had those "doh!" moments with forgetting to plug things back in or walking away from the python hose and "watering" the floor. It's to be expected, I guess, to some extent. We are but human. 😉

As to the cat tower - yikes!!!  Glad you didn't have any "cat"astrophic losses when that happened.

Your tank looks beautiful! Congrats on your successful plant and fish rehoming. It looks like the plants are doing well! And yeah, isn't Cory great about explaining how to help our plants thrive?! I've learned so, so much from the Aquarium Co-op videos.

Thank you for the warm welcome @Alesha. It is amazing how much you think you known until you realize you know nothing. Fish are also much happier and eating better now that they are warm. Could not figure out why they were not eating when normally they attack their food.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome! The tank is looking  really good so far. Also don't feel bad. My boy ends up in the tank now and then. No cat tree needed he is just a heck of a jumper. You'd think he would learn after the first time nooooo he has to go for a second. Luckily that tank isn't actually stocked as of yet

• Haha 1

Last night watching TV laying on the couch looking up I could one the cats, Merlin, walking on the top of my big aquarium. Suddenly Merlin lunged for something in the aquarium and came up with a 1 foot wide rosette of water sprite that had been floating at the top. He jumped down with it and dragged it into the spare room for who know what reason?

• Haha 2