DarthRevan

@DarthRevanI have them in a 45 gallon tank and I think there aren't enough of them to cool the two bullies' young-adult aggression a bit. I can't wait to move the 12 new "teens" out of quarantine and hopefully chill out the vibe in the main tank some. (Wishful thinking?) I already had two with fin damage a few weeks back, due to fighting, and a subsequent infection which I successfully treated (and all fins have grown back), but that was a nightmare as the quarantine tank was in use so I had to treat the main tank. My male dwarf danios (in another thank, a 20-long), which are smaller than dwarf shrimp, also go after each other, as well as any unwanted females that get in their way, when they're chasing the gravid female of their affection. It looks positively vicious sometimes! But they are also very shy and hide every time I get close. I'm looking at options for a few dither fish for that tank to help them be less shy and maybe less aggressive with each other (as in, the guppies or whatever would get in the way of the chase and break things up). Such is life in "peaceful community tanks". 

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

@DarthRevanI have them in a 45 gallon tank and I think there aren't enough of them to cool the two bullies' young-adult aggression a bit. I can't wait to move the 12 new "teens" out of quarantine and hopefully chill out the vibe in the main tank some. (Wishful thinking?) I already had two with fin damage a few weeks back, due to fighting, and a subsequent infection which I successfully treated (and all fins have grown back), but that was a nightmare as the quarantine tank was in use so I had to treat the main tank. My male dwarf danios (in another thank, a 20-long), which are smaller than dwarf shrimp, also go after each other, as well as any unwanted females that get in their way, when they're chasing the gravid female of their affection. It looks positively vicious sometimes! But they are also very shy and hide every time I get close. I'm looking at options for a few dither fish for that tank to help them be less shy and maybe less aggressive with each other (as in, the guppies or whatever would get in the way of the chase and break things up). Such is life in "peaceful community tanks". 

That sounds like pure chaos 😂😂 hopefully the dither fish help. I actually just saw a video from the Aquarium Co-Op channel on that yesterday too lol. I guess that just highlights the fact that even if the fish species are considered peaceful, every tank is different! 

regarding shrimp and a betta, it depends entirely on your betta. I currently have one in a 10gallon with cherry shrimp and I've never seen him go after any of them. They are everywhere and i've seen them "walk" over the back of this betta. I've had other bettas where they will pick off the little ones but leave the adults alone. I have another betta who was on a mission to seek out and kill all living things in his tank. He's now in a 3 gallon long with a big ramshorn snail who he still occasionally hassles.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, binkysmom said:

regarding shrimp and a betta, it depends entirely on your betta. I currently have one in a 10gallon with cherry shrimp and I've never seen him go after any of them. They are everywhere and i've seen them "walk" over the back of this betta. I've had other bettas where they will pick off the little ones but leave the adults alone. I have another betta who was on a mission to seek out and kill all living things in his tank. He's now in a 3 gallon long with a big ramshorn snail who he still occasionally hassles.

That seems to be the general consensus, it depends on the tank and the betta lol. I was also looking into Amanos because even though I like the red pop the cherry shrimp bring, at the end of the day they’re a cleanup crew for me and I guess they’re known for doing better than cherries at eating algae and stuff. But I guess Amanos would follow the same rules pretty much.