Really stupid things I have done - magnet injury

Daniel

I just changed out the pads on my Magnavore 8 magnetic algae scraper when I let the 2 halves get too close. Bam! 2 fingers and a thumb slammed inside. Fortunately my wife was nearby and was able to help me get my fingers and thumb out.

Now, beside the pain, my current problem is separating the 2 halves again. The nearest strong thing metal thingy nearby were kitchen knives and I have gotten those wedged in but still no luck at getting even a millimeter of separation.

My wife is incredulous at this knife solution saying, 'I'd film this but I don't want to get blood on my phone.'

20200807_3162.JPG.54fbcd6374df91ab2113eb5bd087467a.JPG

Any ideas on getting these 2 magnets apart that won't involve a trip the emergency room?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, DaveSamsell said:

@Daniel, sorry to hear that.  🤕. Can you slide the magnets?  Pushing only one side against a hard surface etc.  Hope your finger heals quickly.  

Not possible with the strength of a mere mortal to slide these things.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not possible with the strength of a mere mortal to slide these things.

Knowing my experiences with magnets, it's usually easier sliding than pulling directly apart, because of the magnetic lines of force.  Perhaps place only one of the sides  in a stationary work vise.  This would isolate one side, giving support, so you can just concentrate on the other side of the magnet.  Work carefully....

Edited by DaveSamsell
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

Perhaps place only one of the sides in a stationary work vise.

Thats the only thing I can think of too...🤔 Try something like a big old pipe wrench to get leverage on it or a wooden clamp to safely get a grip on it

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 5:38 AM, Daniel said:

I just changed out the pads on my Magnavore 8 magnetic algae scraper when I let the 2 halves get too close. Bam! 2 fingers and a thumb slammed inside. Fortunately my wife was nearby and was able to help me get my fingers and thumb out.

Now, beside the pain, my current problem is separating the 2 halves again. The nearest strong thing metal thingy nearby were kitchen knives and I have gotten those wedged in but still no luck at getting even a millimeter of separation.

My wife is incredulous at this knife solution saying, 'I'd film this but I don't want to get blood on my phone.'

20200807_3162.JPG.54fbcd6374df91ab2113eb5bd087467a.JPG

Any ideas on getting these 2 magnets apart that won't involve a trip the emergency room?

I didn't know those Magnavores were that strong, but I was always curious why they were so expensive.

Have you used the Flipper brand? The big one is like $70. I have the small and medium ones, curious how they compare. They certainly aren't as powerful.

21 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

I have the small and medium ones, curious how they compare. They certainly aren't as powerful.

The glass is 1" thick so less powerful magnets just don't stick. You want it to stick hard but just be removable. I had less powerful magnets previously and the Magnavore 8 hits the sweet spot. The problem is once the magnets are within about a foot apart, if you hold them in right orientation they begin to move towards each other and once that movement starts you cannot stop it. And even worse, once they are stuck together, well, you saw what I had to go through.

I'm guessing you just leave it in the tank unless you're replacing pads.  I would injure myself day one on that thing.  My thickest glass is half inch, and the medium flipper does a passable job on it, only because of the scraper. The small one was a regrettable purchase. Too weak, requires too much effort on anything but the softest buildup on glass.

I felt your pain, not like smashing my thumb, but just a while ago I was pulling some neo magnets off the freezer to show Cory and they got my finger so good I was bleeding. Oh, and I thought I was being very careful. . .

I have BTW smashed my thumbs before with hammers and lifting heaving objects.

Edited by Dean’s Fishroom