Madagascar lace flowering problem

So recently for the first time my Madagascar lace sent up the spike to flower. It was grew quickly and I arranged the covers to allow for it to stick out of the water like it needs to be. But the spike has started wilting below the flower pod. Has anyone had their plant flower? And does it require anything special to get it to flower properly? 

Lol, I made it happy to just make it unhappy again... the stem just wilted and was dying without flowering. Maybe I’ll have better luck next time. 
Unfortunately I can’t give any tips for how to get it to flower. This was first time, and was just luck that it did. But if you’re curious, water parameters are usually stable at ph 7.8, ammonia/nitrite/nitrates at 0 (nitrates would build to 20-40 range in smaller tank), GH ~12, kh~8, temp was 72 but recently changed to 75 for fish. I recently moved the lace from the 20g cube to a 75g, maybe a month before it flowered, and didn’t plant the bulb as deep.

I did read an article that mentioned the bulb should be pretty much completely uncovered. Maybe that’s something to look at? 

1 minute ago, Jeeperscreepersmyth said:

I read they wont grow over 72, can you confirm this? I run around 77-78 and would love to have one.

I would have to say that’s not true, though I don’t know the extent that they can grow at. Mine has grown fine at 72 and it seems to be growing even better at the current 75. And most sites don’t seem to agree on temperature ranges anyway. I just looked at two sites to see recommended ranges, one stated 59-75, the second stated 72-82. There is 4 different varieties of Madagascar laces plants that are common in the aquarium trade (fenestralismadagascariensis, henkelianus, guillotii), this could likely be the reason for the variation in information. I do not know the differences between them all, but from some general information I’ve read the size of the leaves and lace patterns are different between them. I would not be able to identify them, and there’s a good chance they’re only named as Madagascar lace at a LFS, and not to the specific varieties. 

I’ve read that they’re supposed to have resting periods where the plant is in cooler water for a few months. I’m not sure about how important that is either, or how true. I don’t intend on cycling the temps on my tank, nor a second to compare, so I won’t be able to test the testing period aspect either. 

As for you getting one, all I can say is that you can give it a try. Just know that like any plant, there’s a chance it could die. I can say mine grows around 24-26 inch leaves and canopies over about half of my 75g tank I moved it to. So expect to need some room for it, if you get one. 

Well, guess that’s the long way of saying I have no clue! 😁 Sorry it’s not more helpful 

• 2 weeks later...

I would say how you plant the bulb isn't too important. I've completely buried the bulb of a lace plant and buried only the roots and didn't see too much of a difference. I could only guess as to why the spike didn't flower but typically plants will need considerably more nutrients to produce that flower. Specifically I use extra phosphorus to help promote flowering (I can't really prove if thats true or not)but you could get the same results by either adding root tabs or just more of an all in one fertilizer depending what you have available. Lace plants use up a lot of potassium as well so generally more ferts the better.

Edited by Koi
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...