Getting Ready for Summer Tubbing

Daniel

Since the days have started to grow longer I thought that it wasn't too early to get going on my next summer tubbing project. Last year I had put in 20 different kinds of thyme and a few sages in a rock wall bed I had constructed in a wet area down from our garden (notice all the emersed Hydrocotyl at the base of the wall and not as visible also emersed dwarf hair grass).

image.png.63ccd8de14712fbb4b97d94167ee264b.png

I am playing with the arrangement of the tubs which are sitting on clumps of cattails but I don't think I am happy with it yet.

My plan is to keep building the rock wall in a big arc that curves around the tubs on the south side and extend the brick pathway around the north side. Then I can fill in the voids with soil and plant more different kinds of thyme or whatever around the pools. I am sure the cattails will likely shoot up and through whatever I lay on top of them. I haven't put in above ground pools in the past so any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 5

I would think that your first priority is to go out of your way to make sure the tubs stay level.

The biggest difference between above and below ground is nature's ability to rearrange them.  Lacking the earth's natural insulation and support, the freeze/ thaw cycle could be a minor issue depending where you live.  On the plus side: adjustments to above ground tubs a lot easier.

I've found that it takes at least 3 attempts (days) to get the arrangement right.  so grab a yard chair, your beverage of choice, and enjoy the trip. it's going to look great.

If I were you I would dig a hole for those ponds and get some stock tanks for your summer tubing. I see some green houses in the back there I would put a few in there to experiment with the temps and see how long you can keep Tropicals outside. For those in ground ponds I would put them in ground a do a nice little year round water garden you could get a little waterfall going and have some cool US native minnows or do gold white clouds year round. 

@Daniel You said that you are not sure if you are happy with it, but not why you are not sure.  I think that this is a really nice landscape, but here are a few thoughts for consideration.  If you are going with for the natural look the bricks and rock work will stand out (at least right now in the winter).  The tubs may also stand out because they are not at the low point in the landscape and placing rocks in front of the tubs accentuate the drop in elevation.  You probably do not want the tubs at the low point though if you have frost, a high water table, or concerns over runoff in that area.  I like the idea of completely surrounding the tubs in transitional plants with enough walkway to maintain them.  Adding additional plants near the tubs will help draw your eyes and give greater depth to the tubs and wet garden area as a landscape feature as well as transition between spaces in the yard.  Moss or overhanging/climbing plants at the bricks and rock would would help soften the hard surfaces.  One idea would be to remove the rock wall, put the tubs in and then finish surrounding the remaining area with plants.  You may want to turn to your library to see if there are any good landscaping/pond books for inspiration.  Please do not take this as criticism, because I really like your landscape and everyone will be drawn to different features.  I cant wait to see how it develops!