Do you talk to your fish??

FrozenFins

Do you talk to your fish??  

35 members have voted

1. 1. So, do you??

• Yes
    • No

Is it weird that I felt it was rude not to talk to my fish? My last fish passed about 5 months ago, the last of my zebra danios.  Every morning it was, “Good morning, Fishy,” and “Here’s your breakfast, Fishy.”  And I’d wish the snails a good morning, too.  At night it was, “Good night, Fishy.”  Sometimes I’d forget to turn his light off and I’d apologize to him in the morning.  Yup, fish are family.

• Like 2

I always talk to my fish. Sometimes the better half yells upstairs what and I'm like I wasn't talking to you then she says who were you talking to. Then I have to say Big Blue. Or Darth Betta. Or Corries. Yeah I talk to fish. As soon as they start talking back I will know it's a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, all the time!

"Boys, please quit bickering; please come out, where are you? [to the otocats]; come and eat; don't be afraid; the big hose won't hurt you; water change time; mmmm, your favorite, live baby brine shrimp!; you're so beautiful; I love your fins; I love your tail (lol); night night, good morning", etc., etc.

Also I have whole conversations with my doggie, and cats when I had them. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Of course I talk to the fish.  The barbs meet me as I enter, and follow me as I move around the room.  It would be rude not acknowledge them. The other residents, could care less unless food is involved.

Like talking to yourself, talking to pets is not a problem unless you start an argument.

• Like 3

Yes and No. I often tell them hello, good night, how are you, or stop begging, you already had your dinner. They are as bad as Pugs most days.

However, I am not on speaking terms with Lorenzo. He gets the cold shoulder after murdering his friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I sing to mine because I'm a complete weirdo. My catfish gets to hear "Pooka-de-doo-dah" (like zip-a-dee-doo-dah only catfish themed). My bichirs get to hear me sing "Pyewacket in flight, polypterus delight!" (like "Afternoon Delight," my female is named Pyewacket).

I also just talk to them. I ask them how they're doing and what their thoughts are on the current world events. Maybe some day they'll answer. 

• Like 2

I mostly only talk to them when they seem like they’re trying to communicate with me. Mom Fish almost always comes forward when I walk by the tank, so I often say, “Hi Mom Fish, Hi!”

Reading this thread though I’m wondering if I should talk with them more. 😉

Edited by Hobbit

I like to talk to my corys when I give them food. Sometimes I scold them, like whenever I open the lid to my tank, one of my albino corys always seems to think it's a good time to come up to the surface to breath (she swims really fast to the surface) and makes a splash that gets the floor wet as she breathes. I also scold my pearl gourami for picking on the corys when it's feeding time.

Yes! Collectively they are “The Kids”, as in “Hi, kids!”. Individually my pair of sunset honey Gouramis are Cedric and Emma, my reticulated hillstream loach is Nigel, my original pond snail is Fred, the six lamb chop rasboras are The Flock (get it?), the ten green neon tetras are Los Chiquitos because I’m bilingual and they are from Colombia 🇨🇴.
Yesterday I got four cherry and four Amano Shrimp; I don’t know their names yet.

• Like 2

From time to time I openly vocalise my thought on the aquarium or something around that to the fish. Not directly to them as "talking" but just in that direction. 

I'm probly a bad fish owner I have lots of individual large fish and ones you can clearly tell apart (Fahaka, goldfish, rays etc) and I don't even name then I just call them the species names or common names for example I just say the "puffer" haha. 

In my eyes if it cant "respond" I don't see the reason to name them or talk to them haha. Doesn't mean I don't love them just don't need to say come here (insert name here) because I know it's not the name that calls it but the actions or recognition of food source haha.

• Like 1