Wild caught sailfin mollies

Tyler

How's it going everyone, hope you had a great Christmas! Anyway, today I managed to catch some wild sailfin mollies! My first time catching some and I intend on doing some breeding with them. Already found out they can breed with guppies which is really strange. My question is, how do I go from a standard looking sailfin molly to the brightly colored and flashy ones without hybridization? Is it possible? (Also I have them in with some wild caught killifish- fundulus chrysotus and lucania goodei, and a single dollar sunfish) 

19 minutes ago, Tyler said:

how do I go from a standard looking sailfin molly to the brightly colored and flashy ones without hybridization?

It's fun to catch wild fish! Would enjoy seeing photos. As for breeding colorations, I suspect that you're up for a major (if not impossible) challenge unless your resources are limitless. If you're asking about how to derive a highly colored variety of Molly from wild caught stock, you'd have to line breed multiple batches for specific traits from genetically separate stock, culling all but the most promising offspring. Let's say that after 5-6 generations, you have managed to get a subtle color "sheen" on a few in one line . . . your are nearing an inbreeding impasse where you'd have to cross out to another line that you have similarly cultivated. And then the project continues slowly forward, again, selectively breeding only the most desired traits. It takes a long, long time to produce consistently brilliant colors or desired traits that will carry forward. Check out what Greg Sage has been doing over at Select Aquatics, if you're interested in following the process of a Master Breeder. I've also recently enjoyed watching White Cloud Dynasty YouTube channel, where another breeder is working with rainbow shiners and white clouds. It takes a lot of time, focus, excellent aquarist skills, deep passion, and money. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

It's fun to catch wild fish! Would enjoy seeing photos. As for breeding colorations, I suspect that you're up for a major (if not impossible) challenge unless your resources are limitless. If you're asking about how to derive a highly colored variety of Molly from wild caught stock, you'd have to line breed multiple batches for specific traits from genetically separate stock, culling all but the most promising offspring. Let's say that after 5-6 generations, you have managed to get a subtle color "sheen" on a few in one line . . . your are nearing an inbreeding impasse where you'd have to cross out to another line that you have similarly cultivated. And then the project continues slowly forward, again, selectively breeding only the most desired traits. It takes a long, long time to produce consistently brilliant colors or desired traits that will carry forward. Check out what Greg Sage has been doing over at Select Aquatics, if you're interested in following the process of a Master Breeder. I've also recently enjoyed watching White Cloud Dynasty YouTube channel, where another breeder is working with rainbow shiners and white clouds. It takes a lot of time, focus, excellent aquarist skills, deep passion, and

That's the answer I was expecting but also hoping that I wouldn't get. No good way to rush nature either. Probably a better option to breed colorful mollies would be to purchase some that have already been through the process? Wouldn't be as unique, but my main issue is I live in an apartment. I already have 4 tanks going(soon to be 5) and when I eventually move to a more permanent spot I would have to tear all my tanks down. An off site fishroom would be ideal for me as I definitely have the other mentioned requirements, focus, aquarist skills (I think) and a deep passion for all things fish. My current breeding projects are otocinclus, and pea puffers, both for a specific reason. I'd like to reduce the amount of pea puffers removed from the wild, and I'd like to spawn a real hardy line of otocinclus so more people in the hobby may enjoy them without the worries of inhumane capture methods, as well as the often poor conditions they are kept and transported in when wild caught which cause many deaths in captivity. I appreciate your reply! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Yeah! Are you thinking about raising it up in an aquarium?

I'm thinking about it, but I think may need a species only tank due to aggressiveness when it's older, and also they get a bit larger at 3-4". Truthfully I'd like to try and sell him before he gets much bigger. Already got him posted on aquabid

• Like 2