Sponge filter “seeding” for new tank

AudreyB

I Put a sponge filter in a cycled, mature tank to get it started so that I can move it to a new tank and get the cycle in the new tank moving along quicker.  About How long should I leave the filter in the cycled tank before I move it to the new tank? 

I have been using 3 weeks and squeezing all the dirty gunk from every sponge I have in the water.  The water looks awful, but speeds up the process.  How long you keep the sponge filter in the established tank really depends on the bio load on that tank also.  

4 weeks to be safe, could be less, but the easier thing would be to use clean out filter media from the established tank in the new tank while the new sponge filter is running in the new tank. This works beautifully, and allows for the immediate addition of fish. 

I don’t believe 4 weeks is necessary to seed your sponge but if you can leave it for that long it should improve your chances.  My brand new aquariums have taken roughly a month+ to cycle from scratch, and the bacteria that consume nitrites don’t start to take off until week 2, after nitrites are readily available from the ammonia finally being processed at a good rate. roughly 2 weeks after that, the filter is functioning as it should.  When adding a sponge to an established aquarium, both bacteria colonies are present in good numbers from day one.  My gut tells me that two weeks is enough but more is better 

• Like 1