Thorichthys Meeki - Breeding Journal

Fish Folk

Really interesting video! How large are the adult Firemouth Cichlids? They look huge on my laptop screen, but then again, so do the neons! 🙂 

Also, could you explain the BAP program? My husband teaches online 2 days a week for homeschoolers, and I'm wondering if this program would be something to suggest to some of the students. I don't know if any of them keep fish, but I know, as an adult, I have learned so much just doing this as a hobby. I'm wondering if it has a home educational application, as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alesha said:

How large are the adult Firemouth Cichlids?

Thanks! They can grow to between 3-5 inches. Very beautiful fish once bred & raised in home aquarium. Unfortunately, they are challenging fish to determine tank mates for. If they’re the dominant cichlids in an aquarium, they’re very feisty! On the other hand, if they’re sub-dominant, they can tend to be shy, hiding in corners and under structure. Our fry have had their own fry now... these are so prolific... 

We found that putting an adult pair of Electric Blue Acaras in a tank with a group of Firemouths works well.

Here’s a video showing that setup (these are about 6x of the Firemouth fry from this BAP):

3 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Thanks! They can grow to between 3-5 inches. Very beautiful fish once bred & raised in home aquarium. Unfortunately, they are challenging fish to determine tank mates for. If they’re the dominant cichlids in an aquarium, they’re very feisty! On the other hand, if they’re sub-dominant, they can tend to be shy, hiding in corners and under structure. Our fry have had their own fry now... these are so prolific... 

We found that putting an adult pair of Electric Blue Acaras in a tank with a group of Firemouths works well.

Here’s a video showing that setup (these are about 6x of the Firemouth fry from this BAP):

Oh, that's a good combination. The other fish bring out the blue and peach-ish coloring on the Firemouths. And it's a really busy tank too, for those who like that. Nicely done. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Alesha said:

could you explain the BAP program?

BAP stands for “Breeders Award Program.” It is a common feature of most Fish Clubs / Aquarium Societies. They are set up a bit differently in each club. We belong to the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, meeting in Fairfax, VA. Being right next to Washington, D. C. our club members are very interesting people! Some are former CIA... one works with Dr. Fauci over at NIH... and many club members have been to the Amazon to collect wild fish in Peru. Our club members have been part of leading trips with Cory McElroy and Dean Tweedle. As for us, we’re waaaay out in hillbilly land, about 3x hours away in Western MD. 

• Thanks 1