I just tested the gh & kh in my 5g tank (neocaridina, betta, & snails), as I have been losing shrimp. The API gh/kh test kit showed the kh at 100-200ppm (8 drops), but the gh showed 200-400ppm (15 drops). I know water changes can help, but my tap water is kh 100-200 (6 drops) and gh 100-200 (6 drops). Should I do a 30% water change? Or is my tap water even too off and I should use distilled or something else? Any advice appreciated!

That doesn't seem too off to me. Mine shirmp colony is doing great at 4 drops for kh and 12 for gh. Small water changes (25-30%) would help bring it down a little and would help remove anything else that might be causing an issue. 

I know lots of shrimp keepers that swear by RO water but I know plenty of people having success without it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jack.of.all.aquariums said:

That doesn't seem too off to me. Mine shirmp colony is doing great at 4 drops for kh and 12 for gh. Small water changes (25-30%) would help bring it down a little and would help remove anything else that might be causing an issue. 

I know lots of shrimp keepers that swear by RO water but I know plenty of people having success without it. 

How frequent do you suggest the water changes, at least until the gh comes down some?