Aloha from Hawaii!

Emika_B

I’ve kept fish tanks off and on since I was a kid.  I think the last one was a Walstad-style, which was an interesting experience and probably one of my favorite tanks.  I’ll be re-starting my tank, 45 gallon breeder I believe (36 L X 12 W X 24 H), just waiting for all of my bits and pieces to come in.

I’m hoping to do goldfish but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep a stable 70 degrees.  I’ve got a heater and fans on order with a controller that should keep temperature swings to a minimum.  I’ll track the temperatures while I’m cycling and if I can’t keep 70 degrees, then I’ll go with tropicals instead.  It’ll be a planted tank (goldfish oriented), more wood than rock for the hardscape.

Odd question - anyone ever have a camera in their tank, like a webcam for live streaming?  I’ve got a Go Pro knockoff with a waterproof case for short video shots but I’m thinking for 24/7.  So far my husband and I have figured on a very tall glass cylinder vase (26-32 inches tall) with something like a Wyze cam inside.

I’ll try to document everything to share later.

• Like 3

👋 Are you from Oahu? I'm always excited to see new people from Hawaii on the forum. My goldfish tank finally went under 80 degrees this month; it is planted and they seem to be doing okay. They sure are personable fish, who've learned to recognize me and spit water out of the tank when they want something.

Hi Wendypizza - yes, on Oahu.  I’ve had goldfish before with moderate success.  I’m going to try fans, lots of water circulation (though not too fast so I don’t tire the fish out), LED lights and an open top.  I’ll give it a few weeks once it’s set up to monitor the temperature.  I’m hoping for 70 degrees but who knows?

Hi Patrick M. Bodega - I love the Murphy cam!  My husband wants something in the tank but I have yet to find one that’s not for fishing and streaming 24/7.  So far it’s either an external, like the Murphy cam, or my husband’s idea of a vase with a camera in the tank.  We’ll see what we end up with.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Emika_B said:

Hi Wendypizza - yes, on Oahu.  I’ve had goldfish before with moderate success.  I’m going to try fans, lots of water circulation (though not too fast so I don’t tire the fish out), LED lights and an open top.  I’ll give it a few weeks once it’s set up to monitor the temperature.  I’m hoping for 70 degrees but who knows?

Hi Patrick M. Bodega - I love the Murphy cam!  My husband wants something in the tank but I have yet to find one that’s not for fishing and streaming 24/7.  So far it’s either an external, like the Murphy cam, or my husband’s idea of a vase with a camera in the tank.  We’ll see what we end up with.

Good luck! If you're ever able to find out the solution to the 70 degrees, let me know 😭 When I got my fish in September, the room temperature was 90 degrees. Hopefully soon I'll be able to move the tanks to a slightly cooler area of the house and upgrade the tank.

One of our schools participates in a Cooperative Nursery Program with the State of Vermont to grow out Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. They have a large aquarium, and it is running a chiller system, which looks like the guts of an air conditioner, except with piping going in and out of the tank. I'll try to take a photo when I'm back at work.

Edited by Streetwise

Streetwise - that sounds pretty neat!  I’ve seen something like what you’re describing (I think) for sale for hundreds of dollars, depending on the size.  For a project like your school’s doing that would make sense.  Not so much for a personal fish tank.

As a side note, for a while I was into aquaponics and had read that on the Mainland (or ‘the States’ as some say) many do tilapia for the warm months then switch to trout for the cold months.  Doesn’t quite get cold enough here for the tilapia to have issues but I’d love to see a tank full of trout - must be really pretty.