Has anybody used “PNS”

Teakae

https://www.hydrospace.store/product-page/pns-probio

Hello. I recently read about this product and wondered if anybody has used it. I was specifically looking for things that can lower nitrate levels is my goldfish tank. I understand feeding less and lower stocking and water changes. But I was looking for something else. 
————————- from website ————

PNS ProBio™ contains a beneficial, naturally-occurring soil- and water-borne microbe. It is found in freshwater, marine and brackish environments (in the water column, the sediments and even in the guts of animals such as corals). This highly adaptive photosynthetic bacterium balances nutrient cycling in all types of agricultural systems. Though it performs a variety of ecological functions, it is most oustanding in its ability to remediate fouled water (even in oxygen-poor conditions) and digest complex organic compounds (e.g. cellulose and lignin). Additionally, it has the ability to fix nitrogen in critically nutrient-poor environments.

Purple non-sulfur bacteria have for long been used successfully to remediate water quality in highly intensive aquaculture operations. They are increasingly being used to amend soils (particularly soils burnt by chemical fertilizers) in horticultural applications. Their probiotic qualities serve to suppress disease in numerous cultured species. In addition to helping to maintain an ecologically stable microhabitat, PNS ProBio™ provides a wholesome live food source for zooplankton as well as soil mesofauna. Additionally, it is known to form direct, beneficial associations with the root systems of both terrestrial and aquatic plants.

I have a big jug of purple non-sulphur bacteria. I bought some on Amazon that was much cheaper after hearing about a semi well known online vendor launching it for aquarium use. Things I can say with confidence, it stinks really bad and there is definitely stuff alive in the jug. I can't say that I have noticed any difference in my tanks. I haven't done any legitimate experiments though. My tanks are almost all heavily planted so nitrate testing is very rare for me aka I never do it. 

I've put some in a tank I set up for my mother in law. She has no aquarium experience and maintance has been limited but the tank has done very well. No way to prove that it was the PNS bacteria though. 

• Like 1

My aquarium is full of goldfish and I am always checking on nitrates and do weekly water changes. So I was wondering if this might reduce the frequency. 
If the stuff is alive, how does it stay alive in a sealed bottle? Does it have an expiration date? I was always skeptical of the aquarium bacteria sold in bottles. 

Based on some scholarly articles I've read the bacteria is special because it can be survive in anaerobic conditions (meaning it doesn't need oxygen) but it can also use light if its available. Mine is in a black jug with a 2 year expiration date. I put some under a microscope and saw a bunch of stuff moving around but I haven't cultured it to see if the bacteria was alive.

From what I have read it will make nitrate easier to be used up by plants. I don't think it will make your nitrate go away. There are a lot of scholarly articles out there to read but the is very little info directly related to aquarium use.

• Like 1

Yes, PNS bacteria are extremely stable in the bottle and generally have long shelf lives (Jack is correct, these are facultatively anaerobic). However, as they are non-spore forming, they cannot be offered in a dry form. The odor Jack speaks of (in the product he used) doesn't come from the bacteria but rather from their culture medium, likely from rotten yeast extract (which is commonly added to supply B vitamins). And yeah, some products smell bad. But the product in question (PNS ProBio) is made entirely from a particular plant extract and does not smell nearly as bad as others do. Actually, it just has a faint kombucha smell that quickly fades. And yes, it consumes nitrate--quite effectively, actually.

• Like 1