Growing Java moss for profit

Levi_Aquatics

A while back I transferred some java moss from one tank to another. The source tank has a small BBA issue, so I put the moss in a bowl without water and sprayed it with  3% H2O2 and let it sit for about 30 minutes before rinsing it with declorinated water. I now observe no algae in the destination tank and the moss is as healthy as in the source tank.

Perhaps, if you do grow algae, you can try to see if what I did helps eliminate the algae. Pull it out, treat it, then put it back into a cleaned vessel.

I hope your experiment is a success. I know I trim away several dollars worth of moss on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

The "for profit" part will be the hard part for you. There are lots of people out there selling golf ball sized chunks of java moss. (That's how I bought mine.) Many are now selling it for under $5 with free shipping. By the time you factor in a container for the moss, the envelope/box to ship it, the shipping costs and the time/gas/energy needed to transport it to the shipper/post office, making a profit from it will be a challenge. Also, the Ramshorn snail could be a bad idea. They tend to reproduce freely and lots of people don't want snail infested java moss. (I'd prefer snail infested java moss, but that's just me.) If you're selling it for under $5, and eBay/Aquabid/whoever gets a cut, then you're paying for packaging materials, shipping costs, your own time in printing out the labels and communicating with the buyers, fixing any issues that cropped up ("My moss came all dead!") the odds of making any money from it are pretty slim. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisD said:

A while back I transferred some java moss from one tank to another. The source tank has a small BBA issue, so I put the moss in a bowl without water and sprayed it with  3% H2O2 and let it sit for about 30 minutes before rinsing it with declorinated water. I now observe no algae in the destination tank and the moss is as healthy as in the source tank.

Perhaps, if you do grow algae, you can try to see if what I did helps eliminate the algae. Pull it out, treat it, then put it back into a cleaned vessel.

I hope your experiment is a success. I know I trim away several dollars worth of moss on a weekly basis.

That sounds like a great idea! Should I run into an algae issue I will give it a try. Thanks!

1 hour ago, gardenman said:

The "for profit" part will be the hard part for you. There are lots of people out there selling golf ball sized chunks of java moss. (That's how I bought mine.) Many are now selling it for under $5 with free shipping. By the time you factor in a container for the moss, the envelope/box to ship it, the shipping costs and the time/gas/energy needed to transport it to the shipper/post office, making a profit from it will be a challenge. Also, the Ramshorn snail could be a bad idea. They tend to reproduce freely and lots of people don't want snail infested java moss. (I'd prefer snail infested java moss, but that's just me.) If you're selling it for under $5, and eBay/Aquabid/whoever gets a cut, then you're paying for packaging materials, shipping costs, your own time in printing out the labels and communicating with the buyers, fixing any issues that cropped up ("My moss came all dead!") the odds of making any money from it are pretty slim. 

It will certainly be a challenge, but if growing it in small jars works, I will set up more jars and be able to make lots of moss with little effort. I am also planning on selling the moss to a lfs to cut out shipping costs and problems. Thanks for the input!

I've had moss sitting in a container with minimal water for months only under indirect and pretty weak grow lights for house plants. Think under leaves. It's survived quite well.

I personally feel the important part of it all is to have fun doing it even if you don't make much money.

• Like 1

About 2 months ago I threw some java moss in two different sealed jars. One is in my fishroom under LED lights the other is in my room that gets a ton of sunlight. The idea was I wanted to see if it would grow emersed. They both seem to be growing but the one in my bedroom has seemed to double in size. If I remember tomorrow I'll update with a picture.

PXL_20201204_022451196.jpg

PXL_20201204_022519260.jpg

PXL_20201229_141821456.jpg

PXL_20201229_141832859.jpg

Edited by Joshua14
Added photos

13 hours ago, Lynze said:

I stuff excess handfuls in cups under regular fishroom/room lighting topping the water off when it needs it, and it grows in the cups. I've always had better luck with lush green Java moss in lower light than high.

20201224_205014.jpg.c7deecb72c0ac0c50d6e543dcda5743d.jpg

I will have to try that out too! Thanks for the idea!

17 hours ago, ChrisD said:

I've had moss sitting in a container with minimal water for months only under indirect and pretty weak grow lights for house plants. Think under leaves. It's survived quite well.

I personally feel the important part of it all is to have fun doing it even if you don't make much money.

Yep! Having fun is certainly the most important part!

• 3 weeks later...