Corydoras advice

Lizsport500

Hello,

I am having a difficult time keeping corys. I have tried panda corys and recently the julii. I never see any of them swimming oddly or ill, my Cory count just goes down after 1-2 months. I do have one Panda Cory that I have had at least 8-10 months. I have a heavily planted 40 gallon community tank that is under stocked with rummy nose tetras, platys, red cherry shrimp, and a bristlenose pleco. I do weekly water changes: pH close to neutral, nitrates kept ~5-15 (that works best for my plants), I bought 3 julii 2 months ago and there were still 2 last week but I think I am down to one. Maybe corys just don’t do well in my tank? I feed frozen foods, sinking algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellets. Any advice?

Have you watched them eat to make sure they are getting enough food?  I've heard Cory say that corydoras can come in underfed from the fish store/distributor/the wild and sometimes they get outcompeted for food.  I guess if you're feeding sinking foods you're already watching this to make sure they get enough...but definitely watch them eat for a few days, if you haven't already.  Do your other fish look healthy?  Maybe the corys are not coming to the LFS healthy?  They also like to be in groups (like, at least 6 I think)...so perhaps it's a bad combination, like they are coming in to the LFS is less-than-optimal condition, then not getting enough food, and also stressed from not having enough buddies?   Not sure...interested to here what some more experienced cory keepers will say.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The first time I bought the Panda corys I bought 6 or 8. When I only had 3-4 left I bought 3-4 more. Only one Panda has survived and has gotten pretty big over the last year! I added 3 julii. I wanted more but since the survival rate was so low I didn’t. They looked very healthy in the store and always looked healthy at home. None of the other fish bully them and all other fish look great. I do drop sinking food into the tank but I can try dropping them in hours after I feed the frozen food and when the tank is darker. I would love to have 6-12 corys if they survive!

Definitely try feeding after lights out. I don't have cories at present, but when I did, I fed them after I shut off lights for the night and headed to bed. They don't compete well with other fish higher in the water column for food, and night feeding avoids that issue.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will see if feeding after lights out helps!

@Fish FolkI have flourite in 2/3 of the tank and gravel in the the other 1/3. I always drop  food above the gravel side (best area for viewing!), the sinking food lands on the gravel but the frozen food disperses. I have wondered if flourite could be the problem. If so, could I add sand or gravel as a topper?

16 minutes ago, Lizsport500 said:

I have flourite in 2/3 of the tank

You can tell if it’s hurting the corys just by examining their barbells. If they look worn down, you might be having problems. But if not, it may well be something else entirely. Do a comprehensive water test on your tank plus any water you do changes with. I doubt you can “cap” the fluorite. Finer substrate always ends up on the bottom. We used eco complete on a Cory tank, and it trashed their barbells. They kept dying off. We use a fine stone now - virtually like sand. Attached a photo of our Cory breeding tank. It’s NOT pretty 😂 But that’s what they like for making babies. We’ve got about 40 bronze corys in here — 30+ are 2-week, and 4-week old fry. 

6E40624C-4C95-4565-B9A5-32C91AB316BC.jpeg