My (non-scientific) experiement with Anubias

So, I have failed every time I've tried to grow any type of Anubias plant. They all get a white-clear jacket of yuck around the rhizome and die off completely within 10 days. And I do mean die, the entire plant - leaves, stems, rhizome, roots - all go to mush and disintegrate.

So I'm experimenting with a A. Barter tissue culture to see if any of these baby plants can get a foot hold and live in my water.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

1 hour ago, Alison said:

I haven't planted any of mine. I either glue them on something or wedge them between crevices on driftwood until they take hold themselves. So far this seems to have worked well. I've only lost one to rot.

I do the same, but sometimes I think they hang out in that little pot at the farm or store too long. I did order one bare root that arrived with a rotten rhizome, I got a refund on that. The ones in pots have never worked well for me though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

I do the same, but sometimes I think they hang out in that little pot at the farm or store too long. I did order one bare root that arrived with a rotten rhizome, I got a refund on that. The ones in pots have never worked well for me though.

Thats true. I'm guessing thats why my one ended up rotted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alison said:

Thats true. I'm guessing thats why my one ended up rotted.

I would think that about all my anubias as eel except I bought so many, and from different sources, that I have a hard time thinking that it's a 100% rock wool issue. That's why I'm trying the tissue culture experiment.

- The idea of trying bare root plants does certainly intrigue me!

7 hours ago, Jdogtrainer said:

I would think that about all my anubias as eel except I bought so many, and from different sources, that I have a hard time thinking that it's a 100% rock wool issue. That's why I'm trying the tissue culture experiment.

- The idea of trying bare root plants does certainly intrigue me!

I haven't tried any tissue culture anubias, but I did snag a tissue culture crypt from my lfs and I must say. Highly impressed. Yea they are small but there are a lot of plants packed in there and I've seen a ton of growth in the week since I've planted them. They've easily doubled in size. There are enough plants in one that depending on the size of the tank you are setting up, you might be able to split a pot with a friend.

I just got my first abubias plant last week (gold coin, from Aquarium Co-Op) and find it to be a very lovely plant. I have bought and killed so many plants - over $200 probably - because I didn't know what I was doing at all. After watching Cory's video on the easy planter, I decided to try this plant and others that he highlighted (also got easy planters but I find them a bit too bulky for my 20L as it is shallow). All plants in my recent order are doing a lot better than in the past since I think I actually planted them correctly (thanks, @Cory!!) and they arrived in great shape, but late due to USPS. I find fish easier to understand and care for than plants!

Anubias gold coin on arrival and in tank after a few days.

20201215_123505.jpg.14a16be3a193186d15f858ad1d8f731c.jpg

20201222_103713.jpg

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

if you just plant the roots into substrate, anubia's will grow right along the surface, and if healthy just keep expanding. just dont bury the rhizome, and with gravel they are somewhat tolerant of some of the rhizome being covered , though not advised. my guess is the finer the substrate the more critical it is not to bury it.

14 hours ago, FishyThoughts said:

Probably not overdoing it since you know not to bury the rhizomes... but are you using too much glue? Covering too much rhizome with glue can cause problems too. Could also just try fishing line, or plant weights, to hold it until it’s grabbed on itself. 

Of all my anubias I've only directly glued once, roots to a rock. The rest were 'glued' by using string or even zip ties glued to a rock- and all very loosely and the glue dried prior to putting the plant anywhere near it. I've never tried to bury the roots in substrate.

Sounds like your planting it properly. Only other thing I hear is a fairly common issue is anubias getting covered with algae and causing nutrient deficiencies. If the anubias starts looking dark green than it may be that algae is covering it, which makes it hard for the anubias to get nutrients out of the water column. 

• Thanks 1

I took my Barteri baby plants out of the tissue culture cup last night. I have to say - they are just perfect, beautiful, and HEALTHY little plantlets. I almost feel bad using such gorgeous plants to experiment with! Almost. 😉

I've used 3 of the 6 plantlets in my 29 gallon, the others were shared with the BF in his various tanks. I glued mine directly to small rocks just to give them an anchor. I'll update to see how they do as I observe over the next few days. Historically, my anubias have began dying within a couple days of being put into my tank.

UPDATE! 

The baby plants have been,in the various tanks now for three days. 

I saw the slime-jacket-of-death on one plant in the BFs pea puffer tank, but he moved it to the permanent placement last night and in doing so the slime came off in one piece. As of right now I don't see the slime at all on that plant. The sad part is several of the leaves are yellowing quickly. Death or merely some melt? Time will tell.

I'm happy to report that my two babies in the 29 gallon are clean and normal looking. Zero slime, no yellowing leaves thus far.

1229201422a.jpg

1229201422.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 11:48 AM, Jdogtrainer said:

So, I have failed every time I've tried to grow any type of Anubias plant. They all get a white-clear jacket of yuck around the rhizome and die off completely within 10 days. And I do mean die, the entire plant - leaves, stems, rhizome, roots - all go to mush and disintegrate.

So I'm experimenting with a A. Barter tissue culture to see if any of these baby plants can get a foot hold and live in my water.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

Hi Jdogtrainer,

Are you putting the TC plants into a tank that has had the rot in the past or into a clean tank where the rot has not been? 

Just now, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi Jdogtrainer,

Are you putting the TC plants into a tank that has had the rot in the past or into a clean tank where the rot has not been? 

My TC plants have gone into the same tank the rot was happening in 🙂 my TC plants are thriving

Hi Jdogtrainer

Glad to hear it, keep an eye on them.  I have read a lot on Anubias rot and it seems that it isn't really know if it is bacterial or a fungus.  If you see it cut the rhizome well back from the the infected portion with a sterilized razor blade. Treat the rhizome with a hydrogen peroxide dip after cutting.  -Roy

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear so many people have trouble with anubias. I always think of it as an extremely tough and hardy little plant. At least in my personal experience. It's one plant that thrives in every tank I put it in. I'm only growing Nana Petite and the original plant was tissue cultured so maybe that's why it's been so bulletproof for me. Interesting. 

• Like 1