Crossbreeding / Interbreeding Cories?

Shade

This is the best pic I could get as this is the first time I have seen it, but I have Panda Cories and Emerald Cories breeding freely in my tank and there is a fry that does not look like either species. I just seen this Cory with brown markings and IDK if there is a possibility that it could have come as an egg on a plant leaf or root or if it could be a hybrid of the 2 fish?? And if it is a hybrid could it breed with it's siblings it would it be infertile?? I would love to hear about hybridization of any other Cory species as well as I have just now found out that they can interbreed sometimes. 

PXL_20201224_181342526.jpg

PXL_20201224_181313714.jpg

I have absolutely no idea other than what I just googled because your question made me curious. But according to the forums I browsed, they can interbreed and panda cories tend to do it the most often? However, I haven't been able to find any scientific studies on it, only anecdotal accounts and people just saying 'don't do it'.

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/interbreeding-corydoras.437247/ (has links to other posts)

1 hour ago, Frost said:

From my experience hatching Bronze corys (aeneus) the fry looked a lot like your picture for the first couple weeks or so and then developed their final color once they reached a certain size

Okay, thank you. I have 1 emerald/bronze ( IDK how to tell the difference) juvenile that's the same color as the parents but it's almost as big as my pandas now so that's why I didn't think it was that but I guess we will see. 

Update! - My Cory now looks a lot more like the parents so it turns out it was the Emerald or Bronze Cory (I cannot tell, if someone can I will include the parents) so I already have twice as many as I started with! Pics are the youngest baby, then an older offspring of the parents, and then one of the parents. 

PXL_20210102_145741396.jpg

PXL_20210102_150219125.jpg

PXL_20210102_150307495.MP.jpg

This is interesting, it reminds me of how many different animals have different coloring as a baby/young vs. the adult. Cheetah cubs and lots of different hoof stock (wild or otherwise) exhibit this phenomena. It is believed to help the young better his from predators. Very cool! Thanks for the update.

• Thanks 1