Is this algae or something else?

I've been keeping fish most of my life and I seldom see something I haven't seen before, but this is something I've never seen before.  Whatever it is seems to spread by tendrils and then have flower-like things (really tiny leaves maybe?) closest to the light. Photos will be shown below of one of the roughly quarter-sized things and then an enlargement of it. There are multiple patches of this, whatever it is, on the front glass of my quarantine tank. Most aren't symmetrical but all have the same tendril like growth pattern. It's popping up in multiple sections of the front glass with no apparent connection from one section to the next. I added some ramshorn snails a few weeks ago and that's been the only real change in the tank. Is it a freshwater sponge perhaps? Whatever it is apparently isn't edible as neither my Super Red Bristlenose Pleco or my snails have eaten it. It's pretty much flush to the glass and doesn't intrude much (if at all) into the tank. It's interesting.

IMG_20201224_083952232 weird algae 1.jpg

IMG_20201224_083952232 weird algae 2.jpg

IMG_20201224_083944477_MP.jpg

• Like 2

A bit more research shows that the slime mold is likely eating the biofilm on the front glass of the tank and will disappear on its own in a few days/weeks. When I first saw it from across the room I assumed it was snail eggs. When I got closer I could see it wasn't. It's kind of pretty and quite interesting to look at. I'm glad it's not something dangerous.

• Like 2