How to lower gh, kh, ph etc

TheMilkman

When water evaporates, the minerals and whatnot stay behind. That why in marine aquariums you top them off with fresh water. To effectively lower your numbers, you need to swap out your water with RO or distilled water. In a water change both the water and the minerals suspended in it leave. In evaporation, just the water leaves, the minerals and whatnot stay behind.

As far as I’m aware, topping off the water with rodi only has the effect mitigating the upward climb of some of your measurable water parameters if you have nothing else in the tank to actively reduce them, as water evaporation will tend to concentrate things. To dilute the water you need to replace an portion of water with rodi. 

9 minutes ago, gardenman said:

When water evaporates, the minerals and whatnot stay behind. That why in marine aquariums you top them off with fresh water. To effectively lower your numbers, you need to swap out your water with RO or distilled water. In a water change both the water and the minerals suspended in it leave. In evaporation, just the water leaves, the minerals and whatnot stay behind.

Ahhh, ok thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

As far as I’m aware, topping off the water with rodi only has the effect mitigating the upward climb of some of your measurable water parameters if you have nothing else in the tank to actively reduce them, as water evaporation will tend to concentrate things. To dilute the water you need to replace an portion of water with rodi. 

Thank you so much 

1 hour ago, TheMilkman said:

When using ro water to replace, would you slowly add it as not to shock any of the fish and shrimp?

Slower is always better (well almost always.) The exceptions to that would be if your fish were in dire distress or you're trying to encourage a fish to spawn. Then sometimes you want a more drastic change in water temp/chemistry as if it were the rainy season and they were having a downpour. Even then a somewhat more moderate pace isn't bad. On some of my tanks I'll set up a bottle full of replacement water and then just let a length of airline tubing drip it into the tank. I'm doing that now with my twenty high as my breeder box full of baby plecos is on that tank and I don't want to unduly shock them.

22 minutes ago, gardenman said:

Slower is always better (well almost always.) The exceptions to that would be if your fish were in dire distress or you're trying to encourage a fish to spawn. Then sometimes you want a more drastic change in water temp/chemistry as if it were the rainy season and they were having a downpour. Even then a somewhat more moderate pace isn't bad. On some of my tanks I'll set up a bottle full of replacement water and then just let a length of airline tubing drip it into the tank. I'm doing that now with my twenty high as my breeder box full of baby plecos is on that tank and I don't want to unduly shock them.

Ok, i think ill do that then.

Is there a reason you want to lower those? Most species will be totally fine in that current water. The reason I ask is because it becomes a huge headache just to do a water change. You’ll have to mix the right amount of RO with tap to achieve the desired Gh, Kh, pH, and then use that mix everytime you change the water. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 10:36 PM, AquaticJ said:

Is there a reason you want to lower those? Most species will be totally fine in that current water. The reason I ask is because it becomes a huge headache just to do a water change. You’ll have to mix the right amount of RO with tap to achieve the desired Gh, Kh, pH, and then use that mix everytime you change the water. 

Yes, i am trying to breed apistogramma and they need significantly lower water hardness and ph.