Seachem "Safe" Dosage?

Cyndi

Hi Everyone,

I'm confused about Seachem Safe. The problem is: The dosage seems incredibly small. I've searched this forum and found that you may or may not be able to store Safe in a solution of water and use it like Prime. Some say yes, some say no. I'm worried about massively overdosing since 1/4 tsp treats 300 Gallons.  I'd like dosage information on the order of "Sure you could use X amount and it wouldn't harm your fish - in my experience" . So I guess I'm asking for personal experience using Safe.

Dosage for a 90 Gallon would be really helpful - or maybe I should just get a gram scale and be done with it.

Thanks so much - hope this isn't too rambly! 

Gram scale is $10 off Amazon, just get one you can calibrate and spring for a calibration weight.

People have made up solutions and used them for months, but Prime specifically has preservatives so do so at your risk.

Double and triple doses are used in some cases so you do have some wiggle room

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 1

The problem with Safe is actually under-dosing not overdosing. The recommended dose seems small because...it is. The recommended dose of 1 mg per L only removes 0.52 mg/L chloramine (my tap water has chloramine).

Typical tap water chloramine levels are 1-2.5 mg/L. I've measured as much as 1.5 mg/L in mine. Now you can see why a few people have had fish deaths after water changes when using Safe.

The recommended dose of Prime (1 mL / 10 gal) will neutralize 3.22 mg/L chloramine or 6.2X more than the recommended dose of Safe.

Safe's cost advantage over Prime is 18X but once you correct for dosage it's only 3X cheaper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coronal Mass Ejection Carl said:

The problem with Safe is actually under-dosing not overdosing. The recommended dose seems small because...it is. The recommended dose of 1 mg per L only removes 0.52 mg/L chloramine (my tap water has chloramine).

Typical tap water chloramine levels are 1-2.5 mg/L. I've measured as much as 1.5 mg/L in mine. Now you can see why a few people have had fish deaths after water changes when using Safe.

The recommended dose of Prime (1 mL / 10 gal) will neutralize 3.22 mg/L chloramine or 6.2X more than the recommended dose of Safe.

Safe's cost advantage over Prime is 18X but once you correct for dosage it's only 3X cheaper.

Thank you @Coronal Mass Ejection Carl! I was wondering why people have had fish deaths when using Safe and was hoping for this sort of advice. I have a gram scale per @AdamTill, so I'll feel comfortable experimenting with upping the dose. I appreciate the replies! :-)