Help identifying this disease please

howze01

I got 3 Cory cats and 2 ottocinclus over the weekend. They were all dead this morning and now my Rasboras all have what they had. Of course I didn’t quarantine, lesson learned... Can anyone help me identify what this is so I can treat it? Thanks in advance for any help!

672EA775-CC5C-4FE4-9A3F-5FAFA77F4DAA.jpeg

I am very sorry your fish died, that looks like fungis I would treat with API Fin and body cure. Also you could use epson salt but I don’t know much about it you will probably have another fellow member help you on that, I have only used it one time when my molly fish had popeye but I don’t even know if that worked. I hope you have more luck with your fish next time, I hate to lose fish I know how you feel.

• Like 1

I’ll go grab some tomorrow. I’ve had these 3 Rasbora for about 3 years now. I really hope they don’t die because I didn’t quarantine the new fish. The Cories and ottos were dead within a day or 2 so I hope these last long enough to be treated. Thanks for your help Taco!

Well, as I feared, this disease killed my other fish as well. Always quarantine! My question now is, what’s the best course of action to follow? Do I finish the treatment course anyway to kill off whatever it may be? How long should I wait to add new fish? Do I just add a little food everyday to keep the cycle going until I add them?

I'm sorry to hear about your fishes. Especially about your rasboras, at least they got to have a good life with you for 3 years.

As per the tank, most live plants do not do well with much salt, anything more than one teaspoon per 10 gallons is going to probably start hurting them soon.
I would do a water change to get the salinity down and then crank up the heat for a few days. Do some research and put the temp as high as would be tolerable for all the plant species to try to kill whatever's in there, IIRC keeping the tank above 85 for a few days will likely kill anything bad left in there. I try to avoid meds if possible, so I would probably leave it empty for a month just to be safe, but you could also nuke it with meds instead of waiting and it would probably be fine. Adding a little bit of food a day will stop all the bacteria from starving if there's nothing else decaying in the tank.