Are fishkeepers pet lovers in general?

FishyJames

Apartment living has me limited to fishkeeping.  I'm both a dog and cat lover and will have at least 2 cats and 1 dog once I'm established in a more permanent place. I'm betting people that keep fish have more other pets than the average person.   What other pets do you have?

I can't say definitely, but I certainly am! In addition to fish, I have a crested gecko, a small isopod collection, and am getting either a viper or leopard gecko soon. I had dogs growing, but am not sure if we will be getting a dog or cat anytime soon. Likely not mainly due to travel.

A dog, chickens, and a cockatiel here. My family has always called my house "the zoo" because we rarely have less than 4 species of critter (other than fish) in the household. We wouldn't be down to 3 right now, but I didn't get anymore budgies after I lost the last one and I got out of guinea pigs. 🙂

Fours cats, two rats, two small fish tanks, and a nine-year old humanoid. The rats probably have the best attitude towards life amongst them all.

I forgot to mention the neighbor's cat who comes to hang out frequently.

Edited by ChrisD

@TimeTravelerIt's complicated!  We have 1 or 2 that occasionally stop by for a meal and might let you walk past without bolting. The three official cats were born there.  Blackie and Brownie are feral to a point, and Shakes was abandoned later when the owners moved.  Shakes is bipolar and we serve at his pleasure.  Brownie unfortunately may have been a Covid cat and passed over Thanksgiving.  Blackie meets us at the sidewalk and follows us to the door each day.  He will not enter the building unless all of the doors are open, He enjoys a neck massage and ear scratch, but  no one can pick him up.  Blackie lives in his own 2 bedroom condo with central heat, w/w/w carpet 2" insulation rubber roof and vinyl siding.  I keep saying "he" but all of the official cats have been fixed.  

I am in an apartment. 10 aquariums, a cat, a gecko, 2 large snakes, a budgie, one part time and 2 full time humans. Innumerable house plants.

I don't know if I am a "pet lover" so much as a farm kid who is in the city. I like life around me.

The plants, 8 tanks, the cat and the part time occupant are mine. The rest belongs to my kid who is a nearly adult full time occupant.

• Like 1

Besides my fish, I’ve got a cat and six chickens. We would almost certainly have a second cat if our current princess would let us, but she HATES other cats. We used to foster kittens before our health issues got worse (despite Kitty’s protests). I also used to volunteer and take lessons at a local horse barn.

I think that many fish lovers are empathetic towards animals in general. My guess is that it takes more animal empathy to care about giving a fish a good home than it does with say a dog. So many people assume that fish don’t feel anything. We all know differently. 😊

• Like 1

I've had my dog for almost 10 years; I adopted him as an adult so I don't know how old he is.  I grew up with dogs; only time I didn't have one was in college.  I live with my partner who has a cat.  I've taken care of 3 horses on the weekends for the last 8 years; they're all retired and officially "pets."  I also used to have two rabbits, but after one of the dogs almost ate one for lunch (thank God the rabbit was fine), I gave the rabbits to a local sanctuary where they had created a big, comfy enclosure for them.  I pretty much love all animals...especially watching them in nature.

• 1 year later...