back at it with a 29 gallon tank

Good day all and happy holidays.

My son, 7 y/o, has been begging for a tank forever. I have a 29 gallon tank hidden in my bedroom that Santa will delivering for Christmas for him. I had several 10 gallon tanks in my room as an older kid/teen. It's been 20 years since I had a tank. I'm looking to set up a planted freshwater community tank for him including Danios, tetras, corys and some inverts. I feel this will give plenty of variety for hours of enjoyment.

A co-worker has a 55 gallon tank that I will be setting up in my living room. It previously housed a bearded dragon. Any hints on cleaning and disinfecting?

I know I am excited to start back and I'm sure he will be as well.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by OneHappyCampster
spelling
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum.  As far as cleaning the tank, of course chlorine will work, but then you have to make sure you get all of it out since it's also toxic to fish.  Instead I'd suggest wiping down all the surfaces with vinegar, then wipe them down again with clean water.  I'm pretty sure that will kill any harmful residue from the lizard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

Welcome to the forum.  As far as cleaning the tank, of course chlorine will work, but then you have to make sure you get all of it out since it's also toxic to fish.  Instead I'd suggest wiping down all the surfaces with vinegar, then wipe them down again with clean water.  I'm pretty sure that will kill any harmful residue from the lizard.

Thank you. The few articles I read suggested vinegar as well.

9 hours ago, TimeTraveler said:

Welcome back I just joined after a 20 year hiatus myself. 55 gallon is a great size it should be lots of fun. Vinegar should work and real crusty stuff a razor blade would work (just be careful not to nick the silicone).  

Thanks for the tips. It should be lots of fun for sure!

Hi, there! Your son will be SO excited! I gave my 12 year old his first tank last Christmas and he was thrilled! (And now has two tanks in his room). I always hear about vinegar, but I'm always surprised more people don't talk about using Hydrogen peroxide. Safe and inert once it evaporates. I researched it as an equivalent sanitizer to bleach in my medical office and found it cleans most of the same things (although I will admit I was paying more attention to viruses than bacteria). 

Edited by NBrucker
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, NBrucker said:

Hi, there! Your son will be SO excited! I gave my 12 year old his first tank last Christmas and he was thrilled! (And now has two tanks in his room). I always hear about vinegar, but I'm always surprised more people don't talk about using Hydrogen peroxide. Safe and inert once it evaporates. I researched it as an equivalent sanitizer to bleach in my medical office and found it cleans most of the same things (although I will admit I was paying more attention to viruses than bacteria). 

Ahh people say vinegar because it's good at getting the hard water stains off easily. If there are no hard water stains hydrogen peroxide works a treat. I use it all over my house when I clean.... particularly the bathroom.

• Like 2

This reminds me of last year when I was so happy that I'd found a 20 gallon long used for $10.00.  I got it home and tried to clean it, but got tired of that and called a local store to try to find a new one.  Luckily they were running their $1.00 per gallon sale and had one on hand, so I drove the 45 minutes to get it.  I took the old one with me, and offered it for free to the young man who had helped me in the store.  He was happy to take it and I was happy for him to have it.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice and positive words. The tank has been cycled and first three Zebra Danios are seemingly happy in their forever home. I chose to forgo a planted tank for now. Since it’s for my son and not for me, I respected his deep desire to settle for artificial plants...for now.

Sadly the 55 gal tank wasn’t meant to be. It ended up being an open front terrarium. Oh well. Easy come, easy go.

33C88A8C-9A70-445E-8AC0-2A3136149451.jpeg