All-oyster shell substrate for shrimp bowl?

Hobbit

I’ve got a 2.5 gallon bowl and I’m hoping to start a colony of blue shrimp in there. I thought the blue would stand out nicely against an all-white substrate, and I have really soft water.

So, what do you think of a 100% crushed oyster shell substrate? Good idea? Bad idea? Ugly idea? XD

Intuitively I'm concerned about what it might do to the pH, but that's just speculation, and it really bugs me when people post something they "think" or "heard" as established fact.  I'm interested to see what other responses you get.

By the way, you're right about blue shrimp looking good on light substrate.  My blue tank has pool filter sand.

image.png.d66c2da1bdab8624ab11f9926ee8e188.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I’ve got a 2.5 gallon bowl and I’m hoping to start a colony of blue shrimp in there. I thought the blue would stand out nicely against an all-white substrate, and I have really soft water.

So, what do you think of a 100% crushed oyster shell substrate? Good idea? Bad idea? Ugly idea? XD

I think it would look good, I'd be trying to think of something red to put in there to complete the look😃.

If you're worried about moving your pH too much get your favorite big lemonade pitcher and fill it with the water you're going to use and set it out for a few days with an airstone running and check the parameters you're concerned about. Then put in a bunch of crushed oyster shell and check again after a week or so and see what did. My shrimp are breeding like crazy in my tap water at 8.2pH.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2