Breeding Electric Blue Acaras - Journal Videos

Fish Folk

We keep and breed mostly small tropical fish. But when we first came across the Electric Blue Acaras in our LFS, we got a "fish crush" and determined to get some . . . and try to get them to make more! We bought 4x moderately small, and fortunately a pair formed. Here are our breeding journals prepared for our fish club BAP. The Andinoacara pulcher is a sweet, colorful, mostly peaceful mid-sized cichlid. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, Feng Luo said:

Hi Fish Folk

I got a pair of regular blue acara. they have been breeding for a few times now, but no luck so far. They had eggs and fries, but no one fry lasts for more than two weeks. These fries were with/without the parent.

Please help!

Here is a more detailed thread for you to follow closely…

• here is where I struggled.

• "On May 16, 2021 I pulled the shell they spawned on, and suspended in a Lee’s large specimen container, hung inside the tank with an air bubbler. The fry hatched and were free-swimming by May 23, 2021."

• I pulled the clay pot they spawned on, suspended in a separate tank once and moved the eggs in a Top Fin 3 Way Aquarium Breeder with an air bubbler at a different time. some of them hatched and were free-swimming, but they were all disappeared no more than two weeks.

•  

On 7/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, Feng Luo said:

• here is where I struggled.

• "On May 16, 2021 I pulled the shell they spawned on, and suspended in a Lee’s large specimen container, hung inside the tank with an air bubbler. The fry hatched and were free-swimming by May 23, 2021."

• I pulled the clay pot they spawned on, suspended in a separate tank once and moved the eggs in a Top Fin 3 Way Aquarium Breeder with an air bubbler at a different time. some of them hatched and were free-swimming, but they were all disappeared no more than two weeks.

•  

Egg loss is typically due either to infertility, or to fungus. You must have measured in place to deal with fungus. Many breeders use methylene blue. I prefer hydrogen peroxide.

Fry loss is typically on account of either foul / unclean water, or to insufficient / improper feeding.

With the eggs that did not hatch, were they shite (infertile + fungussed), or were they brown / tan / gray? Did you treat the water for fungus?

With the fry that hatched but died, how did you feed them? And how did you ensure the fry had fresh water?