Please help....juvenile molly with prolapse

quikv6

Any help is appreciated. I have a juvenile molly that has just developed a prolapse this morning. Looks like its an anal/vent prolapse. I am assuming it's intestines/intestinal. I see no signs of stress or discomfort on the fish. She's swimming around as normally as can be.

I have read different treatments, from aquarium salt, to epsom salt, to melafix, to fasting, to simply aiming for pristine water conditions. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. I know it sounds crazy, but is there any way to "manually" push this back in?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks

I will try to do that later. It looks like a few cms of intestine coming out of the fish, with a red dot at the end of the intestine. If i can't snap a pic, I still would really appreciate any and all advice.

I don't want to let too much time pass. Thanks in advance.

Yes, positive. It doesn't look like that. It is definitely not worms coming out. It looks like an intestinal tube popped out/became inverted. I had tried to get a pic last night w/no luck. Will try again.

Thus far, I am doing 15 minute epsom salt baths about 4x a day. I am fasting the fish. It's still a young juvenile, so I don't know how long it's okay to fast for.

Any other advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you,

I would probably not try to save a female in that condition unless I could keep her from breeding the rest of her life--it is likely to recurr, and is a defect. If you want to save her, I would move her to a hospital tank and try salt first. I know euthanizing fish is sad, but if you can't keep her from breeding that might be better. Not just because she could pass that trait, but because it will likely harm her. I do have a home for lady guppies that don't get to breed for whatever reason. They hang with some neon tetras in my kids' room.

Thank you for that advice. She seems pretty happy, considering, so I am not ready that euthanize. She is in a grow out tank currently, with salt. In addition, I am also doing Epsom salt bath four times a day. With that being said, it hasn't receded one bit yet. I'm obviously concerned. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give a quick update, especially for anyone who may search for this issue in the future:

The fish is doing quite well. The prolapse went back in after about a week. I don't know if the Epsom salt baths had a direct effect on it, but I certainly don't think it hurt. In fact, the Epson salt baths seem to really relax the fish. It "slowed down" in the baths, almost as if it were enjoying it, and just hanging out.

The fish is also eating and pooping normally, and the prolapse hasn't returned. (I have my fingers crossed that it won't.)

Thanks to all for their advice.