Pleco - common? Also, ponds?

Dawn T

I've got 2 plecos - in different tanks - that I'm not sure about identity on. Hoping all of you can help me figure out if they are "common" or some smaller species.

I bought 1 of the 2 about 6 years ago from Petsmart. He grew slowly to about 6" and seems to have stalled out there. No more growth in the past year or so, but he seems to be doing well. He's currently the only fish in a 29g tank planted pretty heavily with Crypt wendtii "green" that's turned into a jungle. The full body pic attached to this post is him/her. BAD photo, but it shows the dorsal fin fully erect and tail flared, so the body contours are readily apparent. BTW, that tank isn't really green water as that photo appears. Nasty trick of the camera because I zoomed in to get the shot without sending him running into the aquascape.

The 2nd pleco is a rescue who came to me almost 5 years ago. He's only grown about 1" in that time, so he's now right about 6". Based on where the people live that I got him from, I suspect he's also a Petsmart purchase. He shares a 29g tank with a pair of rosy red minnows and a single black skirt tetra (an OLD fish that's outlived the rest of its school). The tank was VERY heavily planted until a couple of weeks ago when I finally thinned the plants out. Crypt wendtii "green" forest, with a LARGE Anubias nana and a sizable Java Fern, both of which I trimmed.

I'll try to get a good photo or two of one or both of them tomorrow after lights come back on. I love both of my plecos, but they're definitely not the most cooperative critters to photograph. I think they're camera shy, because they most often play peekaboo like the second image. LOL They have the same body shape, fins, and markings. I have no idea how to sex plecos, so no clue of the sex of either. Regardless, hopefully at least one of them is cooperative.

Come spring, I'm planning to set up a pond and hope to transition them to it. Would it be okay to put both of them in the same pond? If so, how big should I go to make sure they're safe together? I've read so much conflicting information about plecos online, I'm not sure what's feasible at this point. Hoping maybe someone in the forum has transitioned plecos to outdoor ponds (I'm in the high desert of southern Arizona, btw) and can provide insights into that AND can provide guidance on whether these 2 can be put together in a single pond. I'm not opposed to setting up 2 smaller ponds versus 1 big one, but I need to know which possibility to plan for.

20200229_081055.jpg

20200313_100231.jpg

Those look like common plecos to me. I don't think the plecos would mind being outside. They would do really well in an outdoor pond. I think they would be able to be in a pond together but plecos are big poopers. They produce A LOT OF WASTE! I would recommend to have a big pond or some good filtration in the pond if you want to put them together. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been sick and off-line for the better part of the last couple of weeks. grrr Anyway, back at the computer, and just wanted to update this thread. I found a new home for the pleco who was the sole occupant of one of my 29g tanks. He's a territorial little snot, kills small fish, so he's been alone for a while. His new owner was warned about that and is prepared for it. As a matter of fact, he's going to that new home later today. That'll free up that tank for renovation and new occupants. I'm so excited!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawn T said:

I've been sick and off-line for the better part of the last couple of weeks. grrr Anyway, back at the computer, and just wanted to update this thread. I found a new home for the pleco who was the sole occupant of one of my 29g tanks. He's a territorial little snot, kills small fish, so he's been alone for a while. His new owner was warned about that and is prepared for it. As a matter of fact, he's going to that new home later today. That'll free up that tank for renovation and new occupants. I'm so excited!

Glad to hear!!!