Under Gravel filter

John Wood

I'm with @Ken Burke on this.  You have to do a water change on the other tank anyway, so why not reuse some of it?  People seem to overlook the water itself as a source for the bacteria.

When possible I like to use power heads on the under gravel filter. You get more water circulation, oxygenation and the water clears up faster.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tanked said:

I'm with @Ken Burke on this.  You have to do a water change on the other tank anyway, so why not reuse some of it?  People seem to overlook the water itself as a source for the bacteria.

When possible I like to use power heads on the under gravel filter. You get more water circulation, oxygenation and the water clears up faster.

Filter squeezing s might help, but water itself is not a meaningful source of filter bacteria. It just carries waste for the most part, which is why keeping it isn’t all that useful

10 hours ago, AdamTill said:

Filter squeezing s might help, but water itself is not a meaningful source of filter bacteria. It just carries waste for the most part, which is why keeping it isn’t all that useful

True the water itself has very little to offer in terms of the bacteria.  But the mulm sucked up from the graver is chock full of the little buggers.  

• Like 2