What did you get done today?

Cory

Today I got all my supplies reorganized again, and got my quarantine tank mostly set up for an upcoming trip to the LFS for something...a few somethings!! I think maybe cory cats or honey gourami for the 20L, or pearl gourami for the 45.

Also decided I now simply MUST have a betta fish, and soon, so I decided to get another 10 gallon aquarium and looked at a few betta-specific items to get. Watched a few of Irene's betta videos to see about plants to look for. I want a betta with a not-so-grand tail, so if there's a real beauty it could be the female of one of those types that do have a grand tail. 

I did a water change in the 20L and found out I have 8 fry, not 7 as I thought, in my danio net breeder, and they're looking great!

• Like 2

Today I went to three different stores to find a "non-standard" 10-15 gallon tank and stand for my betta project. One chain store has a huge selection of tanks, but hardly any stands. This store had a stand for an Aqueon 16 bow front, but they didn't have the aquarium! I bet it's a pretty display tank. Darn. Off to the LFS, I saw the Fluval Flex 9 and 16 gallon, but no stand for either one. The guy suggested a regular 10 gallon stand with a piece of plywood, but I don't want to do that. I have to call back this afternoon to see if they are able to get a hold of the Fluval rep for a stand.

I looked at the pretty Aqueon 15 column tank and stand, but it's so tall i know I'd have trouble. It would be higher than my 45 gallon tank on its stand! Aqueon also makes a lovely 16 cube, but again, there's no stand for it, and a 10 gallon beautiful rimless, but that is real spendy ($99!) and I'd rather just get the standard tank thats still on sale for $10 than spend 10 times more for rimless of the same shape. The third store (chain) had a dismal selection of tanks and stands, but a real nice selection of natural-looking decor, and they had pretty fishy face masks for sale!!

So all in all I am super bummed out that I didn't come home with an aquarium today. I did get a betta log, Indian almond leaves, a sleeping leaf perch, and a set of aquascaping rocks. At least I can stare at my "betta tank supply box" and dream while I figure out what to do...the LFS had some gorgeous bettas, too. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So all in all I am super bummed out that I didn't come home with an aquarium today. I did get a betta log, Indian almond leaves, a sleeping leaf perch, and a set of aquascaping rocks. At least I can stare at my "betta tank supply box" and dream while I figure out what to do...the LFS had some gorgeous bettas, too. 

I feel like this is why folks start learning to build their own! What an adventure.

• Like 2

Water changes and some tank maintenance on my 55 gal, 20 gal high, and 6 gal tanks! 

Working on completely rescaping and restocking my 20. I had a pest snail explosion and I think it was crashing my tank. No plants were thriving, in fact all of my guppy grass was dying and all of my cherry shrimp died off, too! I removed all of the guppy grass, the driftwood, physically removed as many snails as i could. All that is left is some dwarf sag, some melted back crypts and I put a little cave in there. I will keep the new neocaridina shrimp I bought, and the albino cory cats in there, but I want to trade out the mutt guppies for some other type of fish. 

I would love to be able to breed the shrimp and the cory cats, and just have a school of something active and brightly colored swimming around! Need to rescape the tank first, then I'll buy some new fish 🙂

• Like 1

Basic tank maintenance and I made a new betta friend at the lfs today. He still has no name but what a personality. Very friendly and curious. Fell in love, couldn't help it. Spent the afternoon setting up a 3.5 gallon cylinder from the storage closet. It's only till next week when I can get him a 5 gallon set. The fight was with trying to split the 6 gallon betta's usb nano air pump. It would only bubble from one sponge at a time. So finally, knowing the nano pump can run the sponge in our 75g, I switched it with the mystery pump. Poof, 3 hours of problems solved... 😖  The few plants I ordered from the Co-op came in today. So plopped them in the 3g temporarily along with an old prefilter sponge that's been blowing around in another tank for a year. The rock planter I also got is too big and rough. With the limited footprint I'm worried the new betta will hurt himself or even get stuck between it and the tank side. Still waiting on the filter gunk and such to settle. He has watched every bit of that "studio apartment" going together. If he was a cat he would have been in the way haha.

20210205_162749.jpg

20210205_162746.jpg

20210205_165121.jpg

• Like 2

I made a gigantic mess. 😄

PXL_20210207_171808111.jpg.f7f19653296b348d5239de3ee7f3a2f1.jpg

Tore apart my 75 because last night I decided I wanted to redecorate. So I took out all the rocks and wood, and any removeable plants. 

Was pleased to see how big this anubias has become.

PXL_20210207_192258145.jpg.b6c3ed1e2ebdae1eae8cbaa4450b7163.jpg

Filling back up...

PXL_20210207_200543962.jpg.0afa9a30420606156463035ab9053087.jpg

And done for now. Waiting for it to clear up before I do any more poking at it. It's going to take a few weekly water changes to get all that stirred up mulm out. 

PXL_20210207_204909760.jpg.0d2d95b8feb385d30f3cd2ddada6bb9e.jpg

• Like 6

Sanded down rough areas on future betta's enrichment, then just watched my fish in their grace and beauty. This weekend the otocats have FINALLY started eating the algae wafers! I'm going to start adding fresh veggies in that location, too. 

The rasboras are getting two very, very special tankmates/future tank "bosses" soon, and I absolutely can't wait!! Watching YouTube vids on the soon-to-be new arrival for care info. I'm extra excited because I won't even have to quarantine this little guy/gal, which frees up the quarantine tank for some new honey gouramis or maybe guppies for my 20L. So many choices!! I'm tempted to try guppies since they seem so lively and happy, and the danios would take care of a lot of fry, especially if my 10 or so danio fry make it to adulthood.

This one stem plant is less than 2" from the top now. I really want to see what it does when it gets there! If anyone has positive ID on this plant, please let me know. So beautiful!20210207_163719.jpg.87fb8df175b5f9e97ba477e78d5e1cf7.jpg

20210207_163636.jpg

Edited by Maggie
Ok, now I have TWO special tankmates coming instead of just one
  • Like 4

Today I learned craigslist really does make dreams come true! I put some ads up for random surplus stuff from my tanks and it just flew out the door! best day ever! Now...what will be new this week at the co-op? I almost have enough room for the platies I have been wanting to get...

• Like 2

I flooded my attic fish room floor 😒

Long ago i converted my attic into a gameroom for my kids and I decide to put some tanks in the room since it is rarely used these days. My new 75 gallon tank sit above a load bearing wall.

I have water lines in the room and use a 20 gallon tank with a DIY charcoal filter, which requires a slow fill,  for water changes. I turn on the water, went into my office and my ADD kick in and I forgot about the water running.  MY guess, 20 gallon spill over.

Luckily my dear wife rarely comes up here and the carpeting absorbed all the water ie: no leaks into the rooms below! A shop vac got alot of the water and the carpeting is quickly drying, low humidity in the winter.

Mark

• Sad 3