What did you get done today?

Cory

I've been wanting to change my substrate for a long time. I had Caribsea Tahitian Moon black sand in all my tanks. They were just so dark. I wrestled with myself over sand or gravel. I love what I got! It's Caribsea Peace River sand/gravel.  It's smaller than gravel yet larger than sand. It claims that it's safe for soft bellied fish, cories, eels, etc.  I really like the more natural look. The tank I finished is a 40 gal. breeder. I chose 10 paleatus corydoras and 20 ember tetras for the tank.  The cories are active and adorable!  I sure missed having them and am glad to be able to watch them again. I'll probably increase their numbers at some point. Just gotta love those little wiggle butts!

IMG_0555.JPG

Edited by Dice
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

The Peace River gravel is such a great size. I used my sifters to separate the Rio Grande gravel into an array of sizes for future tanks. I need to have my LFS bring in some Peace River for more of the small.

IMG_2253.JPG.a31c1167616fbc91b7e0153b4a9b5517.JPG

Isn't it though?  I wish I'd found it years ago.  I'm an old lady and my back would never agree to letting me sift rock, lol. More power to ya!  That looks great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gestaltgal said:

I took advantage of the dollar-a-gallon sale to start my first 20 gallon tank.

PXL_20210115_175905428.jpg

PXL_20210115_174222901.jpg

That looks like the substrate I have in my new 20 gallon (fake plant in pic is temporary until lily and other plants grow in some).

I love this substrate. It looks so natural, and I was able to mix in a little bit of crushed coral without it being too noticeable. The plants don't have any problem with it so far, and the gravel vac (even a little one) is strong enough to lift up this size pebble.

20201230_123259.jpg.8751927d8123b929df592d418df91188.jpg

• Like 1

Today I got the 12 rasboras out of quarantine and now finally I have all 19 in the main tank. Broke down the quarantine tank as I'm going to take a break for a few days and enjoy the new beauty at hand. I washed and bleached the tank, still have to wash the substrate and equipment. Then I'll put the sponge from there into the main tank to seed. I'm exhausted. The meet and greet is going very nicely! Now onto the leisurely search for a single showpiece fish for this tank. 

20210116_124816.jpg

20210116_124818.jpg

20210116_133414.jpg

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 4

I'm in the midst of fixing my green water. I put a towel over the aquarium several days ago (and whats feels like an eternity because I loved siting on the couch and watching them all swim by) And I was FINALLY able to take the towel off. I can finally start seeing them again. The green algae has defentley gotten a lot better and I plan on going to the LFS soon to pick up floating plants to help pull the nutrients that the algae is consuming.

• Like 1

Pardon the messy sand the water lettuce is adapting to the new tank.

I got some rocks and a big chunk of dritwood (any bets on when itt will sink?) placed in the 40 breeder, along with the "extra" guppies, and more plants scavenged from other tanks. The acaras have immediately chosen their favorite rock and were trying to attack my hand before I was done tucking in the anubias nana petite. There is a "couple" but I still am not sure who is the female and who is the male. 

PXL_20210117_030925498.jpg.52385a1ed3c270887a1e8fe96d06c5ca.jpg

The whole tank has been scavenged/repurposed/reused/home-grown, except for the tank itself (craigslist), and the acaras (LFS). Oops, and the lights (amazon).

Edited by Brandy
honesty!
  • Like 4

More water changes, added 7 cherry shrimp to the depleted colony, started my dino rock's java moss afro over (found last otto tangled in the algae that took it over, kickin myself for it's needless death) and added a black poster board background to two of my tanks. I like how the 75 looks (beats the beige-ish wall behind it) but not sure how I feel about the 10 gallon black molly tank... Maybe I'll like it more when the green algae is more noticeable and we can see the fish better. They're not even suppose to be in there anymore, but I changed my mind and went a different route with the tank they were intended for. So in limbo they stay (for now) with 2+ water changes a week. Love these friendly tiny water pigs haha. 

20210117_172648_HDR.jpg

20210117_172629_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Finally went to the fish store and got supplies for my new betta tank. Heres the thread I made for it:

I don't usaully go to this fish store because its further and because I don't agree with their policies (its money first not fish). There was a sign up by their bettas that said "minnumum 3-5 gallons" but then proceeds to sell the fish bowls and other 1/2 gallon betta tanks. Very conflicting advice. Days like this I wish I was in the co-op area. The LFS closer to my house is GREAT only problem is its mostly saltwater. Its great when I'm looking for more popular freshwater fish or when I need fish food or something easy like that (I try to support this store more then any other). But when looking for certain plants I'll go to the one I went today. The one I went today keeps bettas in the tiny container (I get why) but the one closer to my house keeps them in actual aquariums with some of their other fish, which is better and it gives the right message. They also also always have a cute fahaka puffer instock in the fall months (september, october). well thats enough with this rant.

You can click the link above to see how the scape turned out, I'm very pleased with it. I used monte carlo so within a month or two maybe three I'll have a nice carpet.

I finally put plants and water in the 20L. The water doesn't look great right now because of the bubbles and I cleaned the filter media from the 40B in it to help the cycle get going. Now... what fish? By the way, the new MarineLand Pro filters are pretty much silent. 20L.jpg.a6a1f72bccfdbfe9311fdebbeef9c388.jpg

• Like 5