What did you get done today?

Cory

Finally gave up on my Amazon Sword.  I really loved the plant, but it was to large for the 38g tank.  On top of that it was my Angle fish's favorite spawning site.  The picture does not show it, but the plant made the tank too dark and severely limited the swim space for Hank and Mable.  Hope they figure out a new spawning site.

The tank loos lopsided now, but replanted with Melon Red flame sword and Dwarf Chain Sword from ACO.  Thanks @Cory!  Gonna write may review for you shortly.

Before.JPG

Before 2.JPG

Before 3.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

after.JPG

After 2.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Mario V. said:

I got my new 75 gallon set up in the living room. Spent all day setting up the scape and planting my aquarium co-op plants. Thinking about a community tank with sterbai corys, rummny nose tetras, and either German blue rams or Bolivian rams. Also considering smaller pleco such as a clown pleco.

75-gal.jpg

@Mario V.

I’m on the hunt for a stand. Can you tell me what you went with?? 
Thanks so much! 

Wired up a GFI, power switch and solenoid valve for my RO kit.  I started this earlier in the week, but just finished it this morning because the solenoid arrived.  

Doing things this way I can just turn the water and pump on with simple on/off switch instead of plugging stuff into a dangling extension cord and manually turning a ball valve. 

Next step is to replace the switch with a timer wired into that box. Still looking for something simple and adjustable and that's not some networked 'smart' device I have to operate with my phone. 

Yes, I am addicted to convenience!   

IMG_6214.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

De-mineralized, sanitized, and started leak testing the new (used) 95 gallon.  So far, so good.  It took a lot of 5 gallon buckets of water, though, so really hoping that coordinating plumbing project my handy husband has planned for water changes happens sooner rather than later! 

WIN_20210101_16_29_43_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

About a week or so ago I got a little aggressive with gravel vacuuming in the quarantine tank, currently holding 12 harlequin rasboras, and stalled the cycle. So I've been battling trying to start that back up while also still in the middle of cycling the 20L and having a lot of back pain, yuck. It's been exhausting. The fish in quarantine are almost at the 3 week mark and I'm really anxious now to move them! Once moved I'm removing the substrate from the tank, doing a thorough cleaning, and moving it to another location. While that is happening, I'll sterilize the sponge filter and then install it in the 45 to repopulate before moving it back to the quarantine tank when it is re-set up for new fish. I don't know what to get next but am leaning towards either guppies for the 20L, or either a pearl gourami or angelfish for the 45. Any angelfish experts' advice welcome as to whether this would not be advisable with 19 rasboras that mostly hang out in the top 3rd of the water (and 6 otocats, but they live in the basement and don't come out much). The tank is 24" deep so height is not a problem. The thought of getting a little quarter or half dollar sized blue marble angelfish and watching it grow up gives me the warm fuzzies. Maybe just a dream...

2 hours ago, Jack.of.all.aquariums said:

Technically it's been the last few days but I got my new office tank home and the stand assembled. I might make a journal when the more interesting stuff starts. 48"Lx24"Wx20"H

Obligatory Cat fish picture

DSC_1801.JPG

I like the catfish, but I think he might already be overgrown for that tank!

• Haha 1

Recently took advantage of the dollar per gallon sale at Petco now I have a whole new rack. Just waiting on my trio of koi swordtails to get here as well as 5 juvenile paradise fish that I wanna start a breeding project with.

FAF2F384-4B8C-4242-AB7F-662C75765EDC.jpeg

Edited by Flo Aquatics
  • Like 3

On 1/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Wired up a GFI, power switch and solenoid valve for my RO kit.  I started this earlier in the week, but just finished it this morning because the solenoid arrived.  

Doing things this way I can just turn the water and pump on with simple on/off switch instead of plugging stuff into a dangling extension cord and manually turning a ball valve. 

Next step is to replace the switch with a timer wired into that box. Still looking for something simple and adjustable and that's not some networked 'smart' device I have to operate with my phone. 

Yes, I am addicted to convenience!   

IMG_6214.jpg

Ok, so I found my timer!

So what did I accomplish today? Replaced the on/of switch on this RO system with a 2-hr 'fan' timer!

(I also cleaned up the wiring and tubing a little bit).

Takes me about 1:45 to fill a 5-gallon bucket with RO (that's all I need for change water for my tanks that use RO).

This mechanical timer prevents me from forgetting I'm running the RO unit and flooding my basement, which I've done more times that I can count (like going to bed with it running!).

Now, I'll just dial in 1:45 and walk away.

That is, unless the timer malfunctions, in which case. I'm back to shop-vac'ing up water. But I think I trust the timer to function better than my memory! 

IMG_6222.jpg.d6c87944300bb2bf2271250541f8f155.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

Did a water change in my quarantine tank. My poor tetras still aren’t recovering. I started to think that after this week’s treatments, I may give them a week off of meds before trying something new.

I also finally re-attached the log in my 55 that had come loose. The gourami fry that had been sheltering around it had all swam away. I’m getting ready to raise the next batch that comes along!

Edited by Hobbit
Removing redundancy

Today I gave my fish corner an upgrade. Now have a set of drawers with all my supplies by the fish instead of in my kitchen junk cabinet and I got that cabinet in the kitchen organized.... that being said I did it all to avoid laundry and dishes lol 😂😂😂 don’t mind my extra chair set that is being used as a shelf I’m working with 800 sqft! image.jpg.e55eda62983569df8fc47b7192d41e83.jpg

Edited by mouseturd13
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mouseturd13 said:

Today I gave my fish corner an upgrade. Now have a set of drawers with all my supplies by the fish instead of in my kitchen junk cabinet and I got that cabinet in the kitchen organized.... that being said I did it all to avoid laundry and dishes lol 😂😂😂 don’t mind my extra chair set that is being used as a shelf I’m working with 800 sqft! image.jpg.e55eda62983569df8fc47b7192d41e83.jpg

i have to tell you, i get a chuckle every time i see your screen name. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, tolstoy21 said:

This mechanical timer prevents me from forgetting I'm running the RO unit and flooding my basement, which I've done more times that I can count (like going to bed with it running!).

Now, I'll just dial in 1:45 and walk away

Neat, good system. I may or may not have forgotten a few times and once had the neighbours phone me saying water was running out the side of the house. Now I have lots of water alarms and no RO system lol.

Is that switch controlling a booster pump? Can’t quite make out what’s going on there.