What did you get done today?

Cory

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

@Edward Steven

@Cory

Thanks guys. It's curious how a couple compliments really feeds the aquarium passion lol. All grown out from 2 val and 2 sag from the Co-op. It has been a very fun tank.

Honestly this is like my platform for while I am getting away from most social media, because all it takes is 2 comments and you feel great. It also only takes 2 comments to feel horrible. Too often without moderation on social media, you get both and the 2 negative and 15 positive, the 2 negative win out 😞 I honestly enjoy that tank and it inspired me a bit, I've been setting up some jungles to watch them grow in and I can't wait to see them well established.

• Administrators

Busy day today. Got some red bristlenose and shrimp from @Randy and now got some turtles ready for @Bob.  It was also time to get air moving in and out of the fish room as the dehumidifier was making to too hot.

C38FFC5E-FFA3-41B9-80C0-85D849161BD5.jpeg

5BF492A0-BAF7-4816-8262-D1E2FC37DD8D.jpeg

CB742101-5AFE-4CB5-BFD4-362EDF20B0EC.jpeg

I was finishing up my water changes, when my wife yelled 'Swarm!'. My favorite hobby is fish, but my profession is beekeeper and duty had just called. The bees were 35 ft up a beech tree and somewhat inaccessible. But with the help of a 25 ft ladder and empty 5 gal. fish bucket on a fiberglass pole, I was able to get the mass of the swarm, including the queen down to the ground. Once the queen walked in to the hive, the rest of the bees began to follow.

769099797_Meandthebees.png.41b8ef707ddcbc32779e2946ffbcbe0d.png

And it is not even lunch yet!

• Like 14
  • Love 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I was finishing up my water changes, when my wife yelled 'Swarm!'. My favorite hobby is fish, but my profession is beekeeper and duty had just called. The bees were 35 ft up a beech tree and somewhat inaccessible. But with the help of a 25 ft ladder and empty 5 gal. fish bucket on a fiberglass pole, I was able to get the mass of the swarm, including the queen down to the ground. Once the queen walked in to the hive, the rest of the bees began to follow.

769099797_Meandthebees.png.41b8ef707ddcbc32779e2946ffbcbe0d.png

And it is not even lunch yet!

Interesting, my friend Andy is who helped me build my fish store and he is a full time bee keeper as well. Doesn't sent out his bees, only produces honey with them and does queen breeding. Before we opened the store, we were testing bee grubs mixed into repashy. He was able to get amazing colors and growth on guppies. But it was messy to feed out. 

55 minutes ago, Cory said:

Before we opened the store, we were testing bee grubs mixed into repashy. He was able to get amazing colors and growth on guppies. But it was messy to feed out. 

The bee grubs are not too bad as human food either. I wouldn't eat them regularly unless it was hard times. Let's just say though I'm glad the 'Hello Fresh' box came and that we are having Apricot Chicken with roasted Yukon Gold potatoes tonight.

• Like 1

I collected Daphnia today.

These are wild Daphnia I collected from a ditch in front of my house. It was about to dry up so I am running a little more water in to it so the Daphnia will last a little longer.

Edited by Daniel

Came in from doing yard work to find my 10 gallon leaking from the side seam so my mandatory furlough "vacation" day off turned in to a clean-up and fish rescue operation. Thanks to the Dollar Per Gallon sale, I was able to quickly replace the 10 with a 20. I'm actually kinda glad this happened because when I started to pull out my java fern and vallisneria, I realized I have waaaaay more red wag platy fry that I suspected. The extra room in the tank will be nice as they grow.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I bought 4 more used tanks (2 10 gal, 2 20) for my wall of guppies.

Almost got a coworker talked into taking the 20 gallon I don't want (Aqueon Ascent, doesn't fit the aesthetics of the other tanks) so that her kids could have some baby guppies 😉  Spreading the addiction! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Flynnster14 said:

Trimmed up my 5 gallon desktop shrimp tank. Every time I let it get too crazy I worry I have a drop in shrimp population. But then with a quick trim and the sudden lack of hiding spaces they all come out of the woodwork! 

Reminded me that I should get a haircut today. @Flynnster14 is the tank at work?

Edited by Daniel
tagged Flynnster14