Post your dream fish, that one that you're not ready to keep yet!

HenryC

What's your dream fish, or that fish that you've been wanting for a while but can't get it yet. Tell us why you do not have it yet, maybe because it is too rare, expensive, aggressive, massive, etc?

Personally, I've been keeping fish for nearly 2 years now, and American cichlids are starting to become my favore fishies fast. Too bad some of them get enormous!

My dream fish that I want to keep is:
Umbee, apparently extremely aggressive and gigantic, can reach 24"! I do nnont have the space for a tank worthy of this absolute unit.

Fell in love with it when I saw it in this video!

What's yours?

Edited by HenryC

wild type bettas/goodeids 

same reason for why i can't keep them my parents said no more tanks 😞

why i want to keep them 

bettas because i want breed them and I love how they swim and there personality

goodeids idk there is just something about a rare fish that make me want to keep them 

• Like 2

I've wanted a fire eel since I got into this hobby. I'm not sure if I'll ever get one though. I'd also like one of those 125-150g fully planted discus/GBR/sterbai/cardinal tetra tanks, as the regular room temperature is pretty conducive to discus, especially in the summer.

• Like 2

Asian Arrowana - its illegal to keep them in the US. 

Polypterus Bichir Bichir/polypterus ansorgii/polypterus congicus  - these three big boys are the largest of the bichir family and while I have a 220 they could enjoy, I feel I want to go even bigger for them, and I wouldn't be able to put them in the 220 until its other occupants aged out - my pictus catfish are closing in on two decades old but they haven't slowed down in the slightest. 

• Like 1

dream list is clown loach, featherfin catfish, pictus catfish, asian stone mini catfish, black ghost knife, zebra pleco and blood parrot. dreams due to space limits and fear i may shorten their lives by inexperience. but i can look at pictures!

• Like 1

If I really took the time this list could be so long because I’m in college and am limited to 3 nano tanks.

but, the one thing that’s always on my mind and will be the first tank I do once I have a house would be for a Schoutedeni Puffer. They’re absolutely adorable, amazing, and personable, and I hope to breed them as well. 

reasons I can’t are, like I said above, I only have nano tanks so I don’t have a big enough tank (would want at least a 40b for 1, probably would do a group in a 75) as well as money and availability. I want captive bred individuals, ideally from the master himself @Preston John but I don’t think he has any available rn (at least according to his site) and they’ll be pretty expensive when he does. As well as tank expenses for a 75 gallon. 

For now tho, I’m living vicariously through his and others Instagram accounts 😅

• Like 1

I'd love to someday turn a 55 gal or 75 gal into a native North American species tank. I'd love to keep Rainbow Darters along with a school of Rainbow Shiners, if they'd all get along.

As for why not yet? Well . . . finishing up goal of Advanced Breeder Award (BAP) with my fish club, and all tanks are dedicated to that presently. Plus, I'd like to tear down a lot of the nano tanks I've got, and invest in a larger tank. So it's a matter of goals . . . time . . . and transitioning. We only have a couple tanks that could possibly work, and they're already occupied. Would rather wait until one of these can be recommissioned rather than buying more tanks. Mom is . . . not a fan of more tanks . . . 😅

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.29.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.30.25 AM.png

Edited by Fish Folk
(forgot to answer rest of question)
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

If I really took the time this list could be so long because I’m in college and am limited to 3 nano tanks.

but, the one thing that’s always on my mind and will be the first tank I do once I have a house would be for a Schoutedeni Puffer. They’re absolutely adorable, amazing, and personable, and I hope to breed them as well. 

reasons I can’t are, like I said above, I only have nano tanks so I don’t have a big enough tank (would want at least a 40b for 1, probably would do a group in a 75) as well as money and availability. I want captive bred individuals, ideally from the master himself @Preston John but I don’t think he has any available rn (at least according to his site) and they’ll be pretty expensive when he does. As well as tank expenses for a 75 gallon. 

For now tho, I’m living vicariously through his and others Instagram accounts 😅

@Steph’s Fish and Plants I’m sure I can hook you up with a little puffer when you’re ready for one. That is what Pokémon friends do, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1